Trapshooters Forum banner

Rib heights on new O/U

2544 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  todddietrich
I'm looking to purchase my son an O/U for trapshooting (maybe future sporting clays). He's been shooting for 2 years now, and likes the sport, so it's time to upgrade. He's 5'8", average build and can fit most guns. Budget: 2-3K.
He's shooting a Browning BPS Field w/28" barrel. He averages about 20 on good days. I had him try my Citori Plus but he was all over with it. Ho complained about the high rib, but only had about 100 rounds through it. w the dilemma, what to look at? 30"/32" barrel? low/med/high rib? sporting/monte carlo/adjustable comb?

We went to the PA State shoot with hopes to handle/demo some guns, but there were slim pickens. I'm trying to narrow it down to 2 or 3 that we should track down and handle. Do I get him a 'trap' model and have him work at it, or some other combination.

I'm predisposed to a Browning (their website variety is dizzying) but open to other suggestions.

Thanks
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
The CXT is a trap gun and has a parallel comb whereas the CX or Crossover has a sporting comb that drops away from the receiver as a field gun stock does although not as much drop. The Browning website has the specs for these models.
A sporting type stock is much more critical in regards to gun fit and shooting where one looks.

· Registered
13,547 Posts
You never gave your son's age. So I'm not sure if you should look for a "Micro" Model or not??? Either way, you can get both in the CX line, or the CXT line.
If you plan to shoot any Sporting Clays at All? I would forget about the CXT model. The T is for trap. This T or trap shotgun has a 70/30 POI!!! The CX line has a 60/40 POI. Which is much better for a crossover shotgun to shoot all 3 games with. Not to mention hunting if need be? Its much harder to break falling targets with a high POI shotgun!!!

So in closing I would recommend the CX model Browning. Then spend some cash money to have the shotgun fitted to your son properly. You may also want to look into a PFS for your son. PFS should make a grip that will fit the CX line. It will take out some recoil and you can make the shotgun fit him very easy without the need for a stock fitter. Of course it would not cost you anything to have a professional gunfitter look at the stock and tweak it after you think its perfect. The PFS stock can expand as your son grows. So, There is no need to cut your new stock, or buy a MIcro model that could be hard to sell down the road. As would trying to sell a stock that has been cut on any shotgun. Simply put the new wood stock in the closet until your son is of age. Then you can sell the shotgun (with like new factory stock), and the PFS to two different buyers. If you can find, and buy a used PFS stock. All the better. You should not lose a penny selling it off in a few years after your son hits 18 or 19!!! There was a vendor on here that was selling the CX with a PFS stock on the shotgun already for a nice price. You may want to look him up. As I forgot his name. Good Luck to the both of you. don't forget to break em all jeff

· Registered
15,261 Posts
Browning CXT without question. Dollar for dollar FAR and away the best value out there today by leaps and bounds.

Being 5-8, it could go either way for him as far as 30 or 32". Brownings tend to be a bit front heavy as well, so it may be up to what he's capable of swinging. 32" will have much better resale down the line and likely be more of a "lifetime" gun for him (and definitely more appropriate for SC), but could be worthless for him in the present if he can't move it. You didn't mention how old he is or how far he's into growing, if he's a bit older and about as tall and strong as he's going to get 30" would probably be a better bet, if he's in his early teens and has a bit of growing and filling out to do, it could be a more of a tossup.

· Registered
15,261 Posts
The other not terribly crazy idea if you can afford it would be to buy two guns, CXT for trap and CX for Sporting. Trap and SC are different enough games that neither gun works terribly well for the other, and if you try to split the difference and buy a "do-all gun" you end up with a gun that doesn't work terribly well for either. You could probably get both guns for around $3600 if you play your cards right, esp if you buy from the same dealer and he'll throw you a bit of a discount.

· Registered
76 Posts
The crossover target model doesn't have a parallel comb nor does the CX or CXS models. See attached crossover specs from the Browning website. A non-parallel combed shotgun is more critical to have a proper fit as the eye being the rear sight of the shotgun will move in relation to the rib as the the cheek moves up or down on the comb.

Attachments

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You never gave your son's age. So I'm not sure if you should look for a "Micro" Model or not??? Either way, you can get both in the CX line, or the CXT line.
If you plan to shoot any Sporting Clays at All? I would forget about the CXT model. The T is for trap. This T or trap shotgun has a 70/30 POI!!! The CX line has a 60/40 POI. Which is much better for a crossover shotgun to shoot all 3 games with. Not to mention hunting if need be? Its much harder to break falling targets with a high POI shotgun!!!

So in closing I would recommend the CX model Browning. Then spend some cash money to have the shotgun fitted to your son properly. You may also want to look into a PFS for your son. PFS should make a grip that will fit the CX line. It will take out some recoil and you can make the shotgun fit him very easy without the need for a stock fitter. Of course it would not cost you anything to have a professional gunfitter look at the stock and tweak it after you think its perfect. The PFS stock can expand as your son grows. So, There is no need to cut your new stock, or buy a MIcro model that could be hard to sell down the road. As would trying to sell a stock that has been cut on any shotgun. Simply put the new wood stock in the closet until your son is of age. Then you can sell the shotgun (with like new factory stock), and the PFS to two different buyers. If you can find, and buy a used PFS stock. All the better. You should not lose a penny selling it off in a few years after your son hits 18 or 19!!! There was a vendor on here that was selling the CX with a PFS stock on the shotgun already for a nice price. You may want to look him up. As I forgot his name. Good Luck to the both of you. don't forget to break em all jeff
Thanks for everyone's replies.

He's 19 and a solid 175ibs. Our primary game is trap. We started shooting ATA and now he wants to shoot doubles. (sporting clays was a passing comment so I threw that out there.)

He can pick up any full size gun and mount and swing feels comfortable in the store. My concern is that he shoots pretty good with the flat rib field gun, but not so well with my high rib trap gun. I'm trying not to break the bank by swapping out stocks, so was looking at one with the adjustable comb.

Is the rib height just a mental thing and time on the line will correct? How much difference is CXT (70/30) vs CX (60/40)?

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Call up Guns Unlimited and order a Universal High Post. It is a CX with a parallel comb. Mid Rib Height set to a 60/40. Get the adjustable comb version and you will be ready for anything.
Below are pictures of the GU Universal Hi-Rib and the GU Citorti Special Sporting. The Special Sporting is a very very near duplicate of the current CX. Both the GU guns have the Lightning forend.

I would guess he could pick it up and shoot it the first time. It should feel similar to the BPS. Adjusting the comb a little will just make it fit even better. (One washer and set slightly to the right)
30" tubes will feel more like his old gun, 32" tubes will be smoother but will take time to learn.

Good Luck on your quest.

· Registered
136 Posts
I'm looking to purchase my son an O/U for trapshooting (maybe future sporting clays). He's been shooting for 2 years now, and likes the sport, so it's time to upgrade. He's 5'8", average build and can fit most guns. Budget: 2-3K.
He's shooting a Browning BPS Field w/28" barrel. He averages about 20 on good days. I had him try my Citori Plus but he was all over with it. Ho complained about the high rib, but only had about 100 rounds through it. w the dilemma, what to look at? 30"/32" barrel? low/med/high rib? sporting/monte carlo/adjustable comb?

We went to the PA State shoot with hopes to handle/demo some guns, but there were slim pickens. I'm trying to narrow it down to 2 or 3 that we should track down and handle. Do I get him a 'trap' model and have him work at it, or some other combination.

I'm predisposed to a Browning (their website variety is dizzying) but open to other suggestions.

Thanks
Call Guns Unlimited Get a combo fully adjustable with an adjustable comb and he will be able to shoot skeet, trap or sporting clays. A good shooting coach will be able to adjust the gun to shoot where he is looking. As he grows this gun can be readjusted to correct
Font Trigger Gun barrel Advertising Logo
for his growth Best buy on the market for a new shooter.

· Registered
13,547 Posts
How much difference is CXT (70/30) vs CX (60/40)?
About 2 1/2 to 3 inches difference at 40 yards. The 70/30 will shoot higher. 60/40 is what most target shotguns have been made for decades.

60/40 POI shotguns rule in skeet and sporting clays. The majority of Trap shooters shoot a 60/40 POI shotgun. Leo arguably the best Trap shooter ever, used a flat shooting 60/40 shotgun. There are trap shooters who prefer a higher POI shotgun, and can shoot them well. You will pay dearly for a adjustable rib shotgun. Only to find that the rib can break much easier as well. Choose wisely, and the best of luck to you and your son. break em all Jeff

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The majority of Trap shooters shoot a 60/40 POI shotgun.
Sounds like the CX 60/40 is the way to go.

Call up Guns Unlimited and order a Universal High Post. It is a CX with a parallel comb. Mid Rib Height set to a 60/40. Get the adjustable comb version and you will be ready for anything.
This sounds like a great option. I only wish I could find one locally he can shoulder.

· Registered
13,547 Posts
This sounds like a great option. I only wish I could find one locally he can shoulder.
What difference would it make??? I mean really!!! If your $1,900 shotgun does not fit?

For $600 you can have a adj. comb and butt plate installed. Then it will fit perfectly. The next priced target shotgun line starts at $4,000 now!!! Which may still not fit you, or your son perfectly and require a adj. comb or butt plate on top of the 4 grand. Its a no-brainer!!! Forget the Beretta Silver Pigeon line, or the 690 line. They both run too light to be a good target shotgun. The CG Summit is the next best in line. Tron on here can do the work if you can't find anyone closer to you. Its best to have a stock fitter look at your gun mount and check the pitch and LOP as well aligning the eye with the beads. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

· Registered
83 Posts

Thanks
I have had a lot of guns with hi and low ribs, I shoot them about the same, if he is going to shoot more than one discipline just get him a standard height rib, spend some time watching the ISSF olympic trap, they use a standard rib and their targets are super fast in
comparison and those people can shoot.

· Registered
2,877 Posts
There is a related post on POI of the CXT
Which has a parallel comb, which I believe is important for trap.

· Registered
76 Posts
If you're going to shoot trap predominantly you should buy a trap gun such as the CXT which has a parallel comb.
The CX, CXS are not trap guns and do not have parallel combs. Check out the specs on Browning's website.
Afterwards you can have an adjustable comb added if you like, cost about $400. If you need to you can have an adjustable butt pad added for LOP, cost about $500. An adjustable rib is not necessary. So for about a total of $2900
you'll have all the gun you probably will ever need.

· Vendor
1,756 Posts
"Leo arguably the best Trap shooter ever, used a flat shooting 60/40 shotgun." From Pull and Mark

P&M:
Leo did NOT shoot a 60/40 gun..
He shot singles and doubles with a 9" hi POI (40 yds)
and handicap with a 15" hi POI (40 yds) That's 100%, high folks!!!!

· Registered
585 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Fab Arm Allsport. They are available with different LOP and the trigger can be moved forward and back as well.
It feels lighter than my son's CX.
It comes with two ribs, one is 50/50 and the other is 65/35. It also has an adjustable comb and is just slightly above 3k.
I'm hoping to demo the combo set at the Grand. I understand the unsingle combo barrel is 70/30.
My dealer (Gipson's) suggested I trade in what I have and purchase the combo, rather than purchase just the unsingle barrel. It would actually be cheaper.

Todd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.