Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a little background:
A few weeks ago I was looking into SBTs, and some of the members here and at my local range were very kind to let me try their guns or give me useful tips (shout out to Kim and Ramorton).

So I went to try out a few more SBTs and narrowed down my selection (slightly). I also went to Lucio (former Perazzi manager) in Azusa and got some feed back on guns that might fit me better.

In the end, I decided on the guns in the title, but I have 1 main concern - rib height.

Based on my gun fitting session with Lucio, he said the A400 Parallel Target's rib isn't quite high enough for me to be upright. Neither is the Perazzi TM-1 I had been eyeing. He said he would strongly recommend something along the lines of a TMX or MX10 TOP single, not unsingle. There is now a mile of rib between my front bead and mid bead on my A400 Parallel Target, and I can't really shoot or have a consistent point of index/reference on my gun without the beads lining up.

So here's my question, what are the rib heights on the guns I listed in my title? If the exact height isn't published, can those of you who have experience with these guns give me your feedback on how high they are in relation to the other guns? For example, a BT99 Plus might have a higher rib than a 725 Unsingle. Or a Ljutic Mid rib much lower than a KX6.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Vendor
19,772 Posts
Too much data in the request. If you have space between the beads lower the comb. And FYI, "Heads-up" is only perfect for a few hardy souls that want to endure the amount of time that it takes to acclimate. Most shooters lock in at the eye bone (ala Phil Kiner picture) and a few do the side saddle mount that you seem to want. Many heads-up, side saddle shooters "yaw" the gun and the sight picture changes as the gun travels to the target. If you really want to have all these bases covered, buy a CG unsingle or top single. You can do either with that gun. PLUS, you can fiddle with the adjustments every time you go to shoot. Ewww, lots of fun.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need a rib height that's similar to the Perazzi TMX or Perazzi MX10 top single, what would you recommend besides the CG?

And what's the side saddle mount you're describing? Do you have a picture?

·
Vendor
19,772 Posts
Hank. You make too mucch of this. This choice of yours is simply personal choice. Pick a high rib gun you like, line up the beads and learn how to shoot it...

CG is just one, but you are asking guys to go measure their guns and evenif they did it woudl have zero relevance to how a gun would fit you. Buy a gun you want, line up the beads, break targets and then break some more.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Hank. You make too mucch of this. This choice of yours is simply personal choice. Pick a high rib gun you like, line up the beads and learn how to shoot it...

CG is just one, but you are asking guys to go measure their guns and evenif they did it woudl have zero relevance to how a gun would fit you. Buy a gun you want, line up the beads, break targets and then break some more.

Careful Jack, you will be accused of stirring the pot if you give good, basic, information away free like that.

Don T

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Hank, it really isn't this hard. I have a 99 Plus and I don't even have a midbead. Step 1: Get a gun with an adjustable comb that feels good. Shoot it at pattern paper at 13 yards. Adjust it until your POI is about 3 inches above tour POA. Lock a trap on straights from 3 and shoot and adjust up or down until you are getting solid breaks. Go shoot 5,000 targets and then come back and ask about Step 2.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Morning hank, POI is something that can be adjusted with an adjustable comb sand with an adjustable rib. Between the 2 you can get the sight picture you want and the results . Some like the lower rib and then some like the higher rib ,but only you can make the choice . Good quality guns are out there and and many have adjustable options for their guns ,so make a list of the options you want and adjustability and start crossing off the list what feels good and makes you come back to it or think about it each day.

Good luck and have fun !

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate all the feedback from you guys!

I understand I might be giving it a little too much thought, but I will be on my 3rd shotgun now and would prefer if I got something that fits so I don't have to go through the whole fitting process again (first was a Silver Pigeon Sporting, then I went to an A400 parallel target).

I will just go with a high rib gun that fits relatively well and go from there. On that note, if I can't line up the beads after adjusting the comb, do you guys recommend the adjust-a-rib from addarib.com?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Trying different guns to see what you seem to like ,but then jumping into a high rib is also something else ! There are many way to test things and that is adding some straight wood into the rib you have now with tape and trying that . but along with the rib you need to understand that with a higher rib goes the higher comb on your gun to allow for the rib height . Many adjustable combs will allow for the higher rib ,if not too high and trying these additions it's not going to be a costly expense and then find out you don't like the higher rib. Many of us online have gone through different thoughts and tests to see what we like and don't like. Alittle testing on your own and trying others guns that you seem to like will all help in making your decision.

Good luck !

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Hank,
I have the old BT-99 Plus that I shoot with a heads up stance and is really very comfortable to shoot. Considering what they are selling for, they do offer the best value for a gun that has all the features it has. They also have very good resale value. JM

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Adjust the comb to get the beads stacked. I shoot the Ljutic mid-rib, and before that a TMX. The ribs are about the same.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great point Jack. The more I shoot, the better the gun gets. (well, you know what I mean......) :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
TMX's are great guns and are a heck of a value for a mid rib gun, but are flat shooters, at least the five so I've owned have been for me. The fact you say there's quite a bit of space between your front and mid bead tells me the way the comb is set will make the gun a high shooter and I guess the first question would be, do you want a high shooting gun an upright head position or both.

If I were to buy a new single barrel gun today it would be a Guerini top barrel because they a great value and there mid rib is adjustable allowing poi adjustment along with all the other adjustments on there guns allowing for a great fit, but that's me.

If you stopped in and saw Lucio you must be a SoCal shooter which means Triple B, Redlands or Prado are when you shoot. Triple B has used guns and they will let you test shoot them which would allow you an opportunity to try some different rib configurations. Many shooters will let you try shooting there guns.

Taping a piece of balsa wood on top your existing rib will give you an idea how high you waht your rib to be.

Surfer

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Friend of mine has a BT-100 for sale. Stock has been shortened for him. He is 5'4". PM me if you have any interest. jm

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trying different guns to see what you seem to like ,but then jumping into a high rib is also something else ! There are many way to test things and that is adding some straight wood into the rib you have now with tape and trying that . but along with the rib you need to understand that with a higher rib goes the higher comb on your gun to allow for the rib height . Many adjustable combs will allow for the higher rib ,if not too high and trying these additions it's not going to be a costly expense and then find out you don't like the higher rib. Many of us online have gone through different thoughts and tests to see what we like and don't like. Alittle testing on your own and trying others guns that you seem to like will all help in making your decision.

Good luck !
My current A400 has an adjustable comb, but I don't think the rib is quite high enough to meet me in my natural mount. What are some reasons you didn't end up liking the higher comb?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TMX's are great guns and are a heck of a value for a mid rib gun, but are flat shooters, at least the five so I've owned have been for me. The fact you say there's quite a bit of space between your front and mid bead tells me the way the comb is set will make the gun a high shooter and I guess the first question would be, do you want a high shooting gun an upright head position or both.

If I were to buy a new single barrel gun today it would be a Guerini top barrel because they a great value and there mid rib is adjustable allowing poi adjustment along with all the other adjustments on there guns allowing for a great fit, but that's me.

If you stopped in and saw Lucio you must be a SoCal shooter which means Triple B, Redlands or Prado are when you shoot. Triple B has used guns and they will let you test shoot them which would allow you an opportunity to try some different rib configurations. Many shooters will let you try shooting there guns.

Taping a piece of balsa wood on top your existing rib will give you an idea how high you waht your rib to be.

Surfer
I like the gun to shoot about 60/40 or 70/30, as I am a point and shoot type of guy. I don't like the space between my front and mid bead, as I find it difficult to stay mounted on the gun without a visual reference of bead on bead (figure 8). Ideally I would like a high shooting gun from an upright head position, but it seems like I might be asking too much.

The CG Summit looks to be a solid choice, may I ask why you recommend the top single over the unsingle? I've been told (and experienced with O/U) that the top singles/top barrel tend to recoil more. I've also been told that the rib on the top single sits higher than the rib on the unsingle per Lucio.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Friend of mine has a BT-100 for sale. Stock has been shortened for him. He is 5'4". PM me if you have any interest. jm
Thanks for the offer but I am 5'10 and 200 pounds (with a bit of fat), so the LOP may not be quite right.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Hank,
Many shooters don't adapt well to un-singles, so unless you have an oppotunity to shoot one for more than a few shots it might be prudent to stay with a top single. The belief is a un-single or bottom firing first on a an O/U has a lower recoil sensation and from my view they have. That said, a properly fitted top singles recoil is almost indistinguishable from the un-single.

I don't know what Lucio means by his statement. Rib heights can be anything you want regardless if the gun is a top or un-single. People look at and an un-single and see all that space between the lower barrel and the top of the rib and think its a really high ribbed gun when in fact many times the rib is no higher than a standard ribbed top barrel gun. If you really want to see really how high a rib is on an un-single look at pictures of combo gun's and look at the O/U barrel and how high the rib is on it, because the rib on the un-single is the same height.
Look at Perazzi's MX-2005 O/U barrel or there MX-8 SR if you want to see a high not a mid ribbed gun like a TMX

If you want a gun with poi adjustments to keep the figure 8 while raising its poi, those guns will have higher ribs because they have to be higher at the rear to allow the front of the rib to be adjusted lower to raise the poi. The whole concept of a higher adjustable rib is to allow heads up position while being able to manuipulate the rib to meet your poi while maintaining a figure 8 view. There are plenty of guns besides Guerini's that will accomplish your goal, I just happen to think they're a great value and lean towards them. I own Perazzi's so I have something to compare them too.

Surfer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts