Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

There are always television ads for retirement locations for golfers. Seems like there is an ad on several times every hour.

Are there any prime retirement locations for shooters ?

Places that are very shooter friendly for folks who like to handload, gunsmith tinker, and shoot shotgun, rifle, and pistol ?

Without snow.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
St. George, UT? You have Purgatory just north of town, Mesquite about 40 miles southwest, Las Vegas within two hours, and Spanish Fork within about four hours, all by I-15 with a 75 mph speed limit.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Silver Springs, Nevada is 35 miles from the Fallon Club, Carson City Club, Yerrington Club and approx 50 miles from Reno Sage Hill all active very nice trap clubs. Real Estate is a real bargin there too. Although there is snow, Elevation 4000 ft.

warren

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
When I am finally through the Parent-care portion of my life, I intend to fashion a modest permanent residence in the Utah mountains, from the NE now. I'm going to travel to every shoot, big or small that strikes my fancy, and fits my budget. Gas for the SUV and RV being the largest concern.

My current retirement home is in Maine, There are plenty of small clubs to burn powder at. But, it's been ruined by the wrong kind of immigrant Bay Staters and Nutmeggers. Should have blown that damn bridge in Kittery decades ago.

Kip

·
Registered
16,926 Posts
There is no perfect location. AZ is wonderful till the heat comes. Of course, you can get used to it. But you can get used to the cold too.

My perfect scenario is the upper Midwest from May till the end of deer season, and AZ the rest of the time.

With side trips to the Dakotas and surrounding area.

The type of shooting you do has a bearing. Where I am I can shoot trap, skeet, sporties, indoor pistol, 500 yard rifle, and just about anything else you can imagine within a half hour drive.

Until you look out the window and see the thermometer. Ten above is my limit.

If you can afford it, the Snowbird scene is the way to go.

HM

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Today's forecast for St. George is high 60, low 41, tomorrow's high 65, with very little wind. I'd say that's not untypical, maybe on the low side. St. George is a pretty popular retirement community, with lots of amenities. Golf is very popular there with lots of golf courses. It's a short distance to Zion National Park. Real estate is a little on the high side by my standards, but nothing like California or most big cities. The community seems very attractive to me, with no discernable slums or crime problem. Summers are hot and dry, but not like Las Vegas or southern Arizona. I'm sure one could learn a lot more by surfing the web.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
If you plan on buying then you might want to take a look at the tax structure and how the taxes are assessed.

Personally I wouldn't trade any summer day in Phoenix for the std winter. You will hear lots about how great a place is - I'd visit in Jan or Feb to check it out. You'll be amazed what a weather hole many places are and you can get stuck there -

JMO of course

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Florida in the winter is tough to beat, no income tax, no personal property taxes, best ccw laws in the U.S., lots of good shooting---just made an offer on a condo, hate to say it but it looks like we may be Fl residents again.

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.