Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found the best way for me to resolve a slump is to switch shooting styles. I know everybody says its not good but if i change up gun hight or shoot quicker or slower than previous i can get back on the bird and stay competitive in the games. If i try to work through it with no change sometimes i cant recover and the bottom falls off my confidence sometimes for a couple weeks. Does anybody else take this approach? whats your solution??

Mike.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Try using a Slump Buster! LOL.

I don't personally believe in that, but the stories sure are funny.

-Gary

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
I alway go back to bacics. Form, gun swing, eye on target and head on wood. Its always one of these things for me. I get lazy and try to move gun with less muscles or lift head from bad hold points. End result is my eye moves and my gun now shoots in a different place. Break-em all. Jeff

·
Supporting Vendor
10,144 Posts
Sometimes it's best to just walk away from it for a while. I've seen good shooters shoot themselves right into stupidity by working in bad habits and sloppy form.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Get back to the basics. Concentrate and follow through the target. The best way is to shoot yourself out of it. Shoot practice until you get your confidence back and the slump will end also. It is more a mind thing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I never shot well enough to got into a slump. Lester

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
NEW GUN!! Always makes me feel better or gives me an excuse for bad scores but makes me feel better lol.

Been shooting 2and a half years and had 4 trap guns still have the Ultra XT and the Joel Etchens Combo. The combo and I are doing fair 22-25s and havening fun!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Whats a slump? (LOL) All above hints sound pretty good. What most often works for me is to take an extra split second to see where bird is going before any gun movement. Gun moves at same speed, just wait a little longer to start your move. Marc

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are great! Thursday night we were shooting in subzero temps with a noortheast wind blowing snow so hard that when u did find the bird you better shoot or mother nature would take over. I wasnt making no shootoffs and getting frustrated fast, THEN i got ticked off and told a buddy i was shooting it ten feet out the trap! he laghed but I tried it and we hit three shootoffs. I recieved all these compliments on "Thats how to shoot gamey birds" all while knowing i couldnt keep it up. thank god it was at the end of the night and I get to keep my confidense! Hoping for a warm front this thurs. lmao. never give up!! haha

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
This what has worked for me -

Take a vacation from shooting. This is a good time of year to do that.

Then back to basics when you come back.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
For me it's usually one or two problem birds and not everything in general. I talk one of our club officers into opening the trap for me[and maybe one or two other team members]. We lock the trap onto the problem bird and just whale away until your crushing them. Works every time.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Some very good advice i once got from a well known very successful shooter was take a couple weeks off and when you come back just retire. lol Sometimes i still think it's good advice.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've been in a litle slump myself. Haven't been able to break 25 this year. Went out today with a hangover, which kept me from thinking... wala! 25 straight. STOP THINKING!!! Mike

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Resolving slumps is revolving slumps, here today, gone for an instant and back tomorrow. There's no cure for my SS and it's been there for what seems like forever, stupid slumps. It does help a lot to see the targets well though? :)

Hap

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.