Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice. Birds are wasted when one or more shooters on line snap their autos shut (of course the club just has microphones). I've had instances when it was my turn at the end of the session whereby I've called the pull, and there were no more clays. I failed to get my full 25 shots and angry that I wouldn't know what my score would have been.

How is this problem handled out there?

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Hit the release button as the guy one to two posts to your left fires for his target. Or hit the release button while holding the bolt handle back with your thumb, and ease the bolt forward.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always shoot a hinged gun. Looks like I have to talk to shooters with autos (whom I do not know) about when they're going to close their bolt.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Problem is when you talk to them about when they should close their bolt, your voice is going to launch a few more targets.

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
If you see they have an auto, before you start the round, gently instruct them as to the "proper etiquette" when to close the action.

I shot for years with an 1100 and never wasted targets.

As noted above, there is a certain "lag time" between when the target is thrown, and when the system is armed and ready to throw another. When they hear the gun of the person to their left go bang, THEN close the action.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Get rid of the Canterburys & go to Erads, Erads sense the sound when the gun is shouldered. Very few birds launched that are not called for.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Phil, while that may be valid I highly doubt if the presence of autoloaders will force sales of new pullers.

A couple of informational signs might be less costly.

HM

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Can't the guys with the autos see what they are doing? Man...My 12 year old granddaughter figured that one out on the first go around! Bill

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Bill,

Presence of mind, attention to detail, and keen powers of observation are not distributed equally among the population.

Some folks just need to be told...

And when they do, it is always best to do it in a polite manner.

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
Give them an invoice at 25cents per wasted bird at the end of the round. Then tell them they're gun won't wear out as fast if they just ease the bolt shut instead of letting it slam.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
My favorite was the guy to my right who would drop his bolt between the time said "pull" and I fired at my target. Took a while to tune that out. Never had it happen again.

Bob Falfa

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Explain there is a 2 second delay between the time the person on the left calls pull and the mic turns on again. If they close the gun at that point it will not throw a target. Motordoc

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
You just need a savvy scorer...

I sit and score enough rounds to recognize when someone is setting the trap off - by closing a gun, by throwing a shell in a bucket, etc.

Use half a brain and you can stop 99% of it by being attentive to the shooters you are scoring.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Not just an auto problem. Have seen the same thing with o/u`s slamming shut and triggering the bird to release and also shots from the next trap over also causeing traps to launch birds.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
It happens more often with occasional recreational shooters. Part of your range orientation procedure should include this information. If you are on a squad with people that you don't know, either discuss this before starting, or encourage your club management to include this while checking in a new shooter. You deserve to get to shoot all the targets that you paid for. Mark

·
Registered
923 Posts
Not to steal a thread but I think I may see a possible reason for the decline in new trap shooters. Trap shooting is just too complicated. Skeet and sporting clays allow a person to be catered to, coached, etc. They are about "me", not the pace of the whole squad. SAGC has four skeet ranges for open shooting and if there are eight people shooting they will be more than likely on all four ranges. I think it just may be that newer shooters are more relaxed when they are more on their own. This isn't anybody's fault. It is just the difference in the way the game is played and the way the younger generation prefers their independence. IMHO Ron

·
Registered
141 Posts
gun1357.........good points made. Yes, experienced and less-experienced shooters should know the etiquette and rules associated with shooting, but my god, sometimes it just gets too involved. My wife is a new shooter, and is borrowing a Beretta 390. We have not shot with a full squad as not to bother someone else, but we have experienced the 'slamming' of the bolt and lost a bird or two. But to your point, when people get pissy over this kind of thing and many others that are trivial to me, it does make you want to question if it is worth it. I am very laid back, and have always had trouble with group sports because I just can't understand the 'in it for blood' concept. BUT, I do respect that, because some people are competitive by nature...it is me that has to learn to change that or take up knitting :)I guess all I'm trying to say to other, more serious shooters is this: It's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it. It is just recreation. If I am shooting next to you, and my wife closes her auto at the wrong time, I will gladly reimburse you for the lost birds. I can't however change your score, so we will not enter a registered event until my wife is very comfortable with the auto, or acquires a O/U gun.

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
We had this situation a couple of weeks ago. We suggested the shooter move the microphone away from his receiver. It had been placed right next to it. He also, on his own, changed when he close his gun. It helped

1 - 20 of 31 Posts