Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the indicators for replacing firing pins? Had a Kolar for a few years now and I am thinking it might be time. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Is the face of the pin deformed? If not leave it alone.

·
Registered
20,333 Posts
If the gun DON’T go bang when you pull the trigger try cleaning the pin bores.

Push the base of the pin so the business end protrudes through the breech face. Feel of it. If it is smooth it’s good. If it’s rough replace it.

·
Registered
20,333 Posts
They are rough and pitted. I will call Kolar Monday. Thanks.
When you replace the pins be sure to thoroughly clean the bores and replace the rebound springs ( or spring ).

Reactions: jktphd

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
What about when the pins are getting rough from those Euro primers that fracture and plasma torch the pins? Do you still wait until FTFs even if your pins look really bad?
It's a 2 minute job, including removing and reinstalling the pins, so there really isn't much of a reason to replace them if they are still functional.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cleaned them throughly today . I will try them tomorrow to see if they are working correctly. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It's a 2 minute job, including removing and reinstalling the pins, so there really isn't much of a reason to replace them if they are still functional.
Do you dress them at all or just leave them as is until you get FTFs? I've read a good deal on here but wanted to know what an actual competitive shooter does. I'm giving you a compliment so don't get pizzy.

Ive yet to have the problem but with the ammo supply issues I am worried about shooting crap ammo.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
I shoot nothing but domestic primers (Winchester & CCI for reloading, and Federal in factory ammo), so I don't have any issues. Dressing the pins likely wouldn't help, since that would shorten them.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I shoot nothing but domestic primers (Winchester & CCI for reloading, and Federal in factory ammo), so I don't have any issues. Dressing the pins likely wouldn't help, since that would shorten them.
Thank you. I also only shoot domestic primers but as supply dwindles I may have to consider other options. If this doesn't calm down in 4 years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
HAve shot my MAX TA since 2007 same firing pins! Built like a tank! Not that something could'nt go wrong? but no chipping or breakage even with these cheap shells with mine. Still look like they did back in 07'. My browning on other hand chipped up until replaced with a vendor from here on trapshooters. Probably needs a clean, maybe springs. The factory will take care of you!
Morg

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't pulled apart my kolar, but as it's been pointed out, if they are smooth and don't have any deformation and or pitting, you're likely fine. If you're unsure, call Kolar up and schedule a service call. If you bought it new, there is a 10 year factory warrantee, why not take advantage of it if you're able?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I removed them, examined and cleaned them. They looked smoother after cleaning, and the misfire issue is resolved. Thanks to all who offered their ideas.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Think about what the problem is with these (usually lower) firing pins. If they are busting through the cheap primers and causing blow back and a torch like reaction to the firing pins, does it make sense to buy new ones and replace them with the same dimension pins that had a problem?

How about this, if you have to pull the pins for replacement and clean the channels anyway, why not just polish off the tips and remove .001 or .002, clean them up and put them back in. Those pins are still plenty long enough, and more than likely may cure the problem going forward because of it by not going so deep into the primer. I also will polish the sides of the pin, and the retaining pin slot. That retaining pin slot very often will have chatter marks when milled. ANY resistance on that angled firing pin with side striking pressure will be magnified. Also, that pin, spring, and channel have to remain dry from oil and grease. Think about the 1100 ejection problems. New pins will get you right back to where you are now in the same amount of time, doing the same thing that caused the problem in the first place.

I am not saying you should never replace the pins, but replacing the pins after 500 to 4000 rounds is not a cure for the problem.

Reactions: jktphd

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Think about what the problem is with these (usually lower) firing pins. If they are busting through the cheap primers and causing blow back and a torch like reaction to the firing pins, does it make sense to buy new ones and replace them with the same dimension pins that had a problem?

How about this, if you have to pull the pins for replacement and clean the channels anyway, why not just polish off the tips and remove .001 or .002, clean them up and put them back in. Those pins are still plenty long enough, and more than likely may cure the problem going forward because of it by not going so deep into the primer. I also will polish the sides of the pin, and the retaining pin slot. That retaining pin slot very often will have chatter marks when milled. ANY resistance on that angled firing pin with side striking pressure will be magnified. Also, that pin, spring, and channel have to remain dry from oil and grease. Think about the 1100 ejection problems. New pins will get you right back to where you are now in the same amount of time, doing the same thing that caused the problem in the first place.

I am not saying you should never replace the pins, but replacing the pins after 500 to 4000 rounds is not a cure for the problem.
I don't use Cheddites anymore because they ruined a new K-80 for me once. I use only Winchester 209 and there was no evidence of piercing. I just did not clean them often enough. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts