Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The center bead sight got knocked off somehow and I would like to replace it. I purchased a new one from Browning assuming it was threaded and would screw into the VR, however it is not threaded. I plan to drill out the remains of the old sight and either press in or glue in the new sight. I have not done this before so any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Sounds like a compression fit mid bead. These are common and work well. I use a small pencil vice to install them. You may, or may not, be able to gently tap it in with a very soft piece of wood. It requires little pressure to seat the sight and it requires little pressure to smash the white plastic top of the sight.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pat,

What is a small pencil vice? I was planning to use a drill press to drill out the remains of the old sight..it looks like a 1/16 bit will do the trick - and then like you suggested tap in the new sight using a piece of soft wood.

Thanks for the info
Phil

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Phil

I have 3/56 threaded mid beads in silver or gold color I can send you one if you still need one.

Have a vary Marry Christmas
Vicki Keen Keensights

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Phil- the remainder of the sight in the gun is a soft hollow tube that can be pulled out by hand using a small hand held drill bit, a small tap, a nail or sometimes a tooth pick. Don't drill it and use only hand pressure.

Vicki made a nice offer. She does that sort of thing often.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use a small piece of 1/8" dia. white teflon stock available from many hardware stores, cut a short piece of it and buff the edges with an emory board. then just use a small drop of glue to hold it in. works perfect and looks professional. I have used this method to fix many brownings for people i shoot with.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pat,

I was able to do as you suggested. I removed the remains of the sight by twisting a 1/16 drill bit in my fingers and pulling the hollow tube out of the rib. The new sight was very easy to tap in place.

Thanks to all who responded.

Phil

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
I use a hammer handle to istall the tapered spring steel bead seats.

I set the bead in place, put the back of the handle on top, and push in, just finish with a little tap w/ hammer.

Works for me.

HM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.