Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Reach around the machine and push up the index pin, this will allow the handle to come down ,beCAREFUL as it may double charge as will not index. Jeff

·
Registered
385 Posts
Name: S&W Supply Company
Address: 5308 Timberline Trail
Rapid City, SD, 57702, USA
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (605) 341-4412
Fax: (605) 341-4412
Web: http://www.swsupply.com/
Category: Reloading Equipment & Supplies

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
PW told me the same crap 20 years ago. New bushings and still going ,A three digit serial number.If you want to throw it away Ill pay shipping and scrap price.They all want to sell new machines. Jeff

·
Registered
849 Posts
In my view, recommending throwing an 800B away and replacing it with anything is poor judgment. I have an 800B that I bought used 38 years ago and loaded 25k rds per year on it until my wife bought me a 800 plus 4 years ago. I've put 2 wad guides in the 800B...and nothing else. The Plus has some features I like, but is nowhere near as reliable.

Buz

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I bought my 800B in 1973. I took it to the Grand for a checkup in about 1985 when Ponsness had a shop there. They replaced the bushings but said it really did not need them. I have done nothing to it since. Just kept it lubricated. I cannot imagine how many shell have been loaded on it but it is a ton. I, at one time, had more than thirty 12# 700X cans in my shop plus a ton of 8# bottles used with my machine. It still loads perfect shells. I have had a set of the shorter dies and crimp assembly for several years but never took the time to install them. I believe it will outlast me. Get it fixed and enjoy it for years to come. Give Whiz a call for great advice. Jimmy Borum

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have worked with Whiz to overhaul two PW 800b's. He is a true gentleman and a great person to do business with. I give him my business whenever I can. If Whiz tells you something about PW machines you need to listen, he knows what he is talking about.
The first PW 800B I bought looked like a real mess but with some work, very little money, and advice from Whiz it has been loading perfect shells for three years now with no sign of stopping. They are well built piece of machinery.
I now own a PW 800 plus with an electric drive in addition to the two 800B's.

Regards, Bob

·
Registered
385 Posts
Whiz White, my apologies are in order. I just checked with my buddy and he said it was not you he was communicating with but was in fact the other gentleman we know as the PW dealer on TS.com What I recounted was what actually was said and I intended to pass the info along in hopes that it may have been helpful to some owners of older PW loaders. It was not really meant as any type of demeaning remark towards Whiz even if it had been true (which it wasn't). Once again, I certainly recant anything negative I said towards Whiz and although I have not spoken or ever met Whiz I now believe from all of the great things said about him, that he must be "One Hell Of A Great Guy"......BEST REGARDS, BUD

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
Long ago the factory did not believe in the word "warranty." In fact, on one of my visits and in the GM's office I saw a stack of warranty cards lying in a messy pile on the desk that customers had sent in to the factory following their new machine purchase. I asked, "What do you do with these, do you enter them into a database along with the serial numbers?" My question was raised because (1) it looked like they had been in a pile for quite some time, and (2) having a database of machines would really be helpful when someone asked me or the factory about buying a used one with a particular serial number.

The answer I received following my question was, <i>"Nothing."</i> I was taken aback because if I had an issue with my reloader and it was under the first year, I would expect some warranted work.

Now, things are different there. Tawnia and Bruce really and honestly try darn hard in customer support. Those two have been a breath of fresh air. The last person who cared for customers was Jean. She was so brilliant on the machines, but customers did not always get to talk to her. Also, Wayne who runs the machining operation there is also a great guy to throw ideas at.

My last visit there was to discuss purchasing the company and moving it to SD. I used to work for a past Governor and their Office of Economic Development and my partner were very interested in moving that operation here. We had some great ideas and plans to make the machines better. Unfortunately, the asking price was way out of line so we stopped negotiations. Dick did call a couple of times to continue the negotiations, but in the interim he died unexpectedly. I tried to deal with the widow but I could never get the financials the OED wanted and my bank wanted, so we scrapped the deal. And, my son was interested in being part of the deal, but he has since moved to Portland. When I left P/W on that visit and subsequently, I offered to fly Jean out here to look the area over and to move with the company. She declined and I respected her decision as she had roots out there in ID. I used to have Domino's deliver pizzas to the factory on a Friday because of Jean's and Wayne's always available assistance and because I really liked the folks there.

I talk to Wayne occasionally, but I hate to bother him. If you observed him, you'd scratch your head and wonder how in the hell he can do all of what he does. He is a genius in design and CNC.

Whiz

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quite a story Whiz and a super insight as to the mixed responses to peoples' attitudes towards the Ponsness Warren of the past. I had no idea as to the history. It would seem that it's a shame things did not work out to allow you to become an integral part of the operation.
Hope you got a chance to read the email I sent to you which has a little more in-depth explanation for how the mix-up occurred to cause my misstatement earlier. LATER......BUD

·
Registered
56 Posts
It was Jim skeel that told me there not worth fixing I talk to him email to email and he said not worth putting money in to as there is shortage or no more parts for these anymore

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I have lots of 800 parts, so do not despair.

We can keep these going for another 30 years.

Hera200: I did get it and thanks much.

Whiz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts