Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired a B grade trap stock for an 870. It has a think layer of glue on it where somebody evidently attached a stick on comb pad but has removed the pad. I want to strip the glue without damaging the stock finish if possible . I have been told lighter fluid will work. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Without getting too scientific, you might try whatever spray lubricants or bore cleaners you trust around your gunstocks. For me, that would be TriFlow for starters. Whatever you do, follow the standard advice on the label to "apply in an inconspicuous place to be sure our magical juice does not harm your finish"....such as inside the forearm

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You could try Goo Gone, Goof Off or the old stand-by WD40. I would try the WD first, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have acquired a B grade trap stock for an 870. It has a think layer of glue on it where somebody evidently attached a stick on comb pad but has removed the pad. I want to strip the glue without damaging the stock finish if possible . I have been told lighter fluid will work. Any other suggestions?
WD-40 or mineral spirits will do.

jack mc

·
Registered
14,120 Posts
Any spray oil should work if it is still soft and maleable. I used Rem-Oil to remove stick on comb residue recently. Works great for removing sticker residue too.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
I would not try Goof-Off. It contains mid level petroleum products that may hurt your guns finish. Try the others first. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Don't use Carb cleaner spray.. it may eat up most plastic type finish or turn it milky white if it gets on it.. not the end of the world but not a good idea if you don't want to do refinish work.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I would try Goo Gone first. Warm the area up with a hair dryer and use a soft bristle brush like a toothbrush. It might take a bit of time but it won't damage the finish.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Carburator cleaner? I'd stay away from that. Go with WD-40 (let it soak), then do a final cleaning with mineral spirits.
Most any kind of light lubricant will do. Read the label to make sure it will not harm the stock finish.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yech, at least goo gone is mostly citrus oils. I've let it soak into t cover of a book to remove a sticker and it would evaporate later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts