Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older 1100 that is missing the barrel alignment pin. Anyone have a good fix for this. The pin is not listed in Brownells parts list.

I considered TIG welding a spot and finishing it to fit the grove in the barrel. The other option I thought about was to drill and tap a hole and make a pin that screws in from the outside of the receiver.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning to the weld and dress fix right now. I also have a small crack about 3/8th inch long on the ejection port to get welded also.

This thing only has about 100-150K down the pipe and it's starting to cause trouble already. LOL

Jim

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I would call Remington and see if they would replace the receiver. I have had no luck with the ejection port fix. Jeff

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've seen reference to a "FAQ" published by Remington which is purported to say something to the effect of the pin existing only to aid in the insertion of the barrel in to the reciever and that once installed the pin is purposeless. Does anyone know this to be true or untrue? Mine is missing said pin as well and I'm having diffculty with ejecting and having the action stay open. I've attributed this problem to the new classic trap barrel and its knockdown pin. Perhaps instead the issue is this missing alignment pin?

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
"The other option I thought about was to drill and tap a hole and make a pin that screws in from the outside of the receiver."

This would be my repair of choice. I would drill and tap for a partially threaded pin, screw it into place and secure it with loctite, weld over from the outside, dress it flush, and reblue the receiver.

Would be completely permanent and impossible for it to fail again, and would be indistinguishable from factory if done properly.

A lot of work, but it could be done very accurately.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I bought a lefty 1100 trap gun for my son and the barrel alignment pin was almost gone. I sent the receiver to Remington with a check for $135.00 and 4 months later Remington shipped me a new receiver. The extended time frame of 4 months was likely do to the receiver was left handed. Waiting 4 months for a new left handed receiver was a NO brainer for me.

SM

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I may just scrap the thing. The magazine tube is cracked about half way around also. I can probably get my hands on a used field receiver cheaper than getting this one fixed.

Jim

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
You're on the right track. Unless Remington gives you a sweetheart deal, much cheaper and easier to find a lightly used field gun in nice shape, and sell what you don't need. If you do it right, you can end up with the stripped receiver for free, or maybe even make a little money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts