Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Beretta 303 special trap, fixed full choke and it works fine. Got a Cole stainless release trigger for it which is great. Problem is the 303 is getting old and has had some breakage. Was thinking of getting a second auto as a backup trap and for use in sporting clays. Obviously the Remington would have many options for the release trigger upgrade where the Beretta may not. Currently use a Citori XT for sporting but do not like it. I am a flincher from using a model 12 field with hard plastic butt plate when I began trapshooting so recoil is a primary concern. Was reading that both these new autos are much lower recoil than older models. Any recommendations and experience with these 2 appreciated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Remington Comp Synthetic is very light on recoil and to me feels lighter than the Beretta al391 and have not fired the 400

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My response would be (considering I have not shot either of the guns you are questioning), I have an 1100 classic trap and a 390 trap. Given the upkeep demands of both and the weight and general handling qualities of both, I would go with the Beretta. I have tricked out my 390 and consider it my primary 2nd gun (my primary is a DT10). My 1100 has an Anton custom stock and is a nice shooting gun, but the upkeep demands are more that I care to deal with. Does the new 1100 still use the rubber "O" ring seal? If so, I find that just an outdated pain in the neck. My 390 takes a licken...no cleaning for months...and keeps on shooting. Just my 2 cents...

JON

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
If recoil is your primary concern the Competition Synthetic is perhaps your choice... or any 1100 that will suit your game. I have not shot the Beretta so I cannot give you a comparison for either felt recoil or cleaning differences. Take the opportunity to shoot both and make your choice. I carry my Competition Synthetic in a break down case. I wipe the magazine tube down with a treated cloth before it goes into the case, about once a month I give the trigger group a bath and clean the magazine tube well. I have no issues with the "O" ring. I replace it about every 6000 rounds just because its cheap and easy to do so... Larry

·
Registered
758 Posts
If recoil is your primary concern the Competition Synthetic is perhaps your choice... or any 1100 that will suit your game. I have not shot the Beretta so I cannot give you a comparison for either felt recoil or cleaning differences. Take the opportunity to shoot both and make your choice. I carry my Competition Synthetic in a break down case. I wipe the magazine tube down with a treated cloth before it goes into the case, about once a month I give the trigger group a bath and clean the magazine tube well. I have no issues with the "O" ring. I replace it about every 6000 rounds just because its cheap and easy to do so... Larry
I am in a similar position, my impression of it's recoil is that it is with 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz loads, it is about like an 1100 28g Sporting.

The 1100 Competition Synthetic is a heavy gun, I like this for target shooting, some don't.

My 1100 Competition Synthetic's Probore barrel/chokes pattern very well, the full choke does very well at turkey shoot "games" with light target loads.

I came to 1100's later in my shooting career but have some long term history with them. When my wife was shooting, she had an 1100TA and put 40,000 or so rounds through it, it was bought used, so it is hard to say how many it has through it. I bought a new 1100 Classic Trap in 2005 to help w/recoil problems and have been shooting an 1100 Competition Synthetic as my primary trap gun since the spring of 2012.

IMHO, the cleaning and O ring issues are often repeated on the internet, gaining traction with each repetition. In 40,000 rounds, my wife's 1100TA never encountered any problems due to cleaning, during that time, we replaced one O ring and a Link.

The 1100 Competition Synthetic has the best interior machining surface finish of any 1100 or 870 I have encountered in 45 years of shooting. It has the Nickel-Teflon coated internals, which I find makes it very easy to clean, residue wipes off easily. I shoot fairly clean burning ammunition and have gone 800+ rounds w/o a strip down cleaning; it would go longer but usually I have to clean it due to rain/snow exposure by then.

A young member at our club just bought one, so far, its functioning is like mine.

I suggest checking both out, in person, if you can and select the gun that you think will best suit your needs.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
DHS, I now own and shoot a left handed A 400 Xcel. My main gun is a TM9X and I can't put the A 400 down!! Soft shooter and moves to the target well. I added weight to the stock to make the gun 8 pounds. I own 2 lefty 1100's; good guns but nothing like the A400. I agree that you should check them out and then decide. "run'em"

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just purchased an 1100 competition synthetic about a week ago. Before that I was using my 1100 competition walnut with an adjustable comb, I shot that very well. As of now, I'm still trying to figure out my shot placement & where I need to put the bead; essentially poi. I think I'm reacting to the bird too quick which is causing me to miss. I guess that can be worked on. As far as recoil goes, simply put there is none. The gun is over 9 pounds & with me being 6'3" , & 300 pounds, there is no recoil for me when I shoot. If you can find one, I'd highly recommend this gun to shoot with. Cleaning is easy & simple, couldn't ask for a better gun for the shoulder IMHO. Next weekend I may take out the old competition & see if I can hit a few with it.
-cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts