Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for me to restock primers. I have been using Remington hulls, wads, primers, and Alliant American Select for 1 and 1.125 loads at about 1200 fps. These seem to be working just as well as the factory STS loads for me, but then again I'm no expert. Now in my shopping for a new supply of primers it seems that Remington is drastically more expensive than Federal or Winchester. In the Mid South catalog I just got the Remingtons are almost double the cost of Federal. Couple of questions:
Is there a reason the Remingtons are so much more expenssive, ie are they better? and Does anyone have a good recipe for one ounce loads using American Select powder and Federal or Winchester primers? (All the Alliant data I can find uses Remingtons) Thank you.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I would say to price around. I just looked at Recob's Target Shop website.
Federal are $136.89, Remington are $172.99, Winchester are $142.99 & Nobel Sport are $109.99. All prices are per 5,000. They have other brands also & are great people to deal with. You might try Gamaliel's also, heard they had a sale on primers on this website last week. JMO but check around. Colonel

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use STS hulls, Rem TGT12S Wads, Win primers, 17.6gr Clay Dot, 1oz lead. Cost per box = $3.50
Great load for 16 yards.

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
At the Farm&Home store here, the Winchesters are $34.99/1000 and the Remingtons are $5.99/100. Guess they think the Remingtons appeal to the black powder shooters? Needless to say, the Remingtons just sit there.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I was a devote W209 and F209 fan for years and It was hard to teach this old dog new tricks but I switched to cheddite and noble primers and I dont have any problem with them.The cost factor made me want change...PJ

·
Registered
706 Posts
http://cacassociatesinc.com/gpage1.html

$148.00 for 5000 here in The commonwealth of Pennsylvania @ cacassociates just follow the above link.

GanderMtn sells them for $4.99 for a sleave. $49.99 @ 1000

Jason in PA

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The Remington primers are good but not worth the prices you are mentioning. Winchester 209 and Federal 209A are also very good primers just make sure you adjust your powder charges accordingly.(check powder man. data) This is especially important with the Federal primer.

The other bargain brand primers will also do a good job for you but finding the loading data for them is not always easy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Jason, is CA Associates walk in only or will they ship? I'm way down here in NC. thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Jason, is CA Associates walk in only or will they ship? I'm way down here in NC. thanks

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The Rem sts primers are good but the regular Rem 209p are junk if you ask me. I have had more misfires with them than all the other brands combined. I am partial to win 209.

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
Yes I noticed the price differences in the last week myself. It would seem that Rem. will have to lower there price soon to be competitive, but time will tell. They may feel their primers are worth more. Break-em all. Jeff

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I have used Fiocchi primers for Winchester applications for years. Work great for lots less $$. Newer manuals give recipies for Fiocchi applications. Clyde

·
Registered
180 Posts
Let us know how your CCI's perform ? Do they have a brass cap like Remington's or some other metal like the european primers ?

I use Remington's too but they are getting pricey.

~JB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.