Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In some old ATA Sportsman Review and Skeet Reviews, I see shooters wearing the Remington Shooting Star and also the Winchester Blue Ribbon patches.
The patches have the year won on them.(See Photo)
My question is does any one know what you had to be a Remington Shooting Star?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have two shooting star buttons that I purchased off of here. One is a Peters and the other is a Remington 68/69 or 69/70 I am not sure about your question though.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If Remington's award was the same as the 1960s "Peters Shooting Ace," I got several of those back in the old days. Back then, Rem/Peters pros would watch shoot results and they would attend bigger shoots and ask winners what shells they used. Usually they'd just give you one each year for a significant win. I have them for 1965, 66, 67, and 68.

I imagine "Remington shooting Star" was the same concept as "Peters Shooting Ace." (I always shot new Peters...liked the blue over the green:))

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I was a big time skeet shooter they would give me both a pin and a patch for every hundred straight and event I won at a big shoot. Also sent me one with my long runs on them. I don't think they do those anymore.

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I know quite a bit about the Shooting Star patches and pins.

These were given out, as mentioned above, for shooting top scores, 100's, and 200's. I some handed to me by the traveling Remington reps and shooting pros, and even the Midwest Regional Manager, Gene Porter, of the Kansas City office.

The late Ikey Starks of Denver was a shooting pro form Remington until 1973. Ikey and I were friends right up until his death. He was a super guy and great shooter. In 1976 Remington offered me one of these positions, but I would have had to move from SD to Bridgeport CT. My new bride did not want to live in CT, so I turned down the job.

Remington did send me a box full of the pins to award shooters with top scores at the shoots I attended, usually in the Midwest. I was awarded several for my 100's and other scores which are all now is a couple of wall display cases. I think I put a photo of one on these here long ago.

I may even have a patch or two like this somewhere in my shooting archives. They also awarded buckles and some knives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts