Trapshooters Forum banner

Remington RXP 20 gauge Wads

1714 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  kacharley
Looking to buy Remington RXP 20 gauge wads. PM me if you have any you want to sell.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Actually it is more based on facts than magic. There is No direct replacement for a Remington RXP 20 gauge wad...I am guessing that Downrange, Clay-buster, and the like do not want to invest the 2 or 3 hundred grand needed for new molds that would duplicate the RXP 20 gauge wads, 28 gauge wads, or 410. If you study the 20 gauge reload recipes in most or all published data...you will find that RXP 20 wads produce the lowest pressures in the majority of hulls that shooters reload. Now some wad manufacturers will say they have comparable products to Remington Factory Wads...which could be somewhat accurate...but they can not say they are exact.

You may ask why that is important? If you are shooting a pure 20 gauge barrel either as a single gun or a barrel set you generally do not have to worry about camber pressure. However if you a shooting Kolar or Briley 20 gauge tubes, they almost demand you keep the chamber pressure below 10,200 psi...because if you don't the likelihood of splitting a chamber or tube increases dramatically.

Anyone who has shot Skeet long enough using 20 gauge reloads has most likely split a tube or chamber. I got a bit long winded but I made these assumptions after talking with tube and powder manufacturers who seem to be pretty knowledgable about the subject matter. Therefore, I prefer to using Remington RXP wads in 20 gauge to save my tubes. Hope this helps.

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the explanation. I shoot tubed guns 99% of the time and am careful to pick load recipes that keeps the pressure down.
Thanks for the info
Just picked some valuable information on the new 20 and 28 powder Winchester came out with. It's called Winchester 572 and checking the load data on 20 gauge it looks impressive regarding the variety of the wads and hulls they tested that have some pretty safe pressure numbers. You may want to take a look at it...even better news this powder has some availability--just purchased a 4 # keg. The bad news it also works well for 9 MM which would make it scarce once the pistol guys figure that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts