Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for anybody that knows their older hulls. I have a big box of these Remington Peters hulls, dark green, smooth hulls w/ words just above base and printed on plastic " Duplex Heavy 7 1/2 x 8 " or "Remington Rem Lite 8" & the bases are brass not tin or brass washed tin. Very nice looking hulls almost same color as todays gun club's. I would like to load them but not knowing the hulls I'm not sure which way to go. Thanks for anyone's answers and thoughts.

34model12

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
They are Remington Premier hulls and can be loaded as STS, Nitro, Gun clubs.

They're great hulls. I still have a mess and load them with my game loads.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Photos would help but I think Ajax, Mike, and Tim are correct.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
If you sectioned one, and compared it to the hull diagrams in Lyman's Shotshell Reload manual #4 or 5, it would probably narrow down your choices.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
If you mean these, load em like a current production Remington.
image.jpeg

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
The two on the right would be the hulls you are referring to, (Remington-Peters). Although the shell on the left, (Remington "Premier") were in my mind better than the STS. As stated, I load them all the same as STS.

hulls 002.JPG

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Back in the 80's I used to shoot Remington Blue Magic hulls a lot, you had to keep an eye on them as they would tear apart where the powder burn was in the hull. Then the top section of plastic hull would stick in the barrel of my model 12. I took a piece of doweling and cut a long taper on it, the dowel was about 40 inches long. I would slide it down the muzzle to collapse the plastic hull and then spin the dowel around and take the square end to push the collapsed hull out of the barrel into the chamber to retrieve it.

PD

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The Premiers don't come apart like the Blue Magic's, but they do have a thick mouth.

If the wad guide is not set up right, the mouth can slice the wad skirt and you can have bloopers. Remington fixed that problem with the STS's.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
On way to get the hull out of the barrel is drop a dime down the end of the barrel, so it rests flat on the crimp. May have to remove the choke tube, or find a smaller flat object if the choke is fixed full. Then take a wood dowel and give it a good shot down the business end. Usually they pop right out. You have to give it a real good smack sometimes.

·
5,388 Posts
The RTL hull or "greenies" were always my favorite... then the STS came out... they all load alike... IMO, they last better too!

Regards all,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts