Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the forums although I've been reading it a lot. Great information and I hope I'm not bringing up an overdone topic. I'm relatively new at skeet and trap shooting and reloading for shotgun.
I'm looking for recipes to duplicate Rem. STS loads for 16 yds. and Nitro loads for 24 yds.
My available (on hand) components are:
Primers - Win 209 (a bunch)
Fed. 209A
Cheddite (don't want to use)
Hulls - STS & Nitro

Shot - Lawrence hard chilled 7.5 & 9

wads - claybuster fig. 8
Claybuster TGT 12
Claybuster Waa12

powder - Clay Dot (a bunch)
Promo
Highscore 700X
Clays
I'm using and old model MEC Grabber (761R). shooting a new Browning Crossover Target and Comp n Choke tubes. I still suck at trap, but I'm going for "most improved shooter". (ya gotta have a dream ... right).
Any and all advice would be appreciated in terms of loads, components, chokes, how not to suck, ect. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I shot with a guy at the club in our last shoot that had problems with the Cheddite pimers going off first time.
I think it caused him to miss a few birds thru lack of attention.
As far as how not to suck.........PRACTICE, PRACTICE, AND MORE PRACTICE

Rick in MT

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI Rick,
Yea my problem with Cheddites is they are larger than "American" primers... there bye screwing up your hulls for other primers. My gunsmith told me not to use them as they puncture and are corrosive to firing pins and other internals.
They are for sale!
I'm going to practice. practice and practice tonight.
K.T.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You have some very nice components that will get you close to duplicating factory Remington trap loads.
I like shooting 1 1/8 7 1/2 shot at about 1145 fps, which is Remington's 2 3/4 dram Light Target load. You can come close to duplicating their load by using your STS hulls, Win 209 primer, 17.6 grains of Clays or Clay Dot, and WAA12 wad.

Good luck and take a good trap shooting clinic sometime, you'll enjoy it very much!

John

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John. I think that's just about what I'm shooting @ 16 yds. I'd like something around 1235fps. for 24 yards and 1200 for 16.
I'd like to get some standard loads for myself at those distances so I can quit changing loads and concentrate on choke selection and more importantly form and consistency.
K.T.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
There are those that prefer those speeds but think for a minute, you drive that weight forward at that speed and the gun reacts coming back at an increased reaction, more recoil. A fella won big money a year or so so back at the Grand shooting light 8's from the 27 yd line. You really don't need that speed, you just need consistency and learn to handle your load.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm ... food for thought. Thanks Big Jack.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The first 100 straight from 27 yds. that I witnessed was broken with reloaded Federal GM 1 oz #8. We chronographed some of his reloads the next day and they were between 1145 and 1170 fps. That's plenty provided you can do your part. From that day on I switched to light 1 1/8 loads and own six 99's from 27 with them, no 100 yet, but I don't beat myself up either. The advice about practice is correct, but I'd add that you should never shoot on a day when you don't feel like giving 100% to your efforts, fish on those days.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: Load up some clay dot or clays with 1-0z of #7 1/2 shot to give you about 1160fps. Use the WAA12 Claybuster wad. That load will work for the 16 and 24 yard. If you want to buy some more wads I would get some 3/4 and 7/8 oz wads and try them as well. They will break them just fine back to the 24 yard. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
You are going to have trouble reaching 1235fps safely with the powders you list. Hodgdon lists a 700X load using a Windjammer wad. That wad is very light, so you may be able to do it with the Claybuster, but I certainly wouldn't try. I'd stick to 1200fps and lower with your powders.

·
Registered
831 Posts
As I recall the word going around was the closest duplicate to the old Nitro27 load was....

Nitro Hull
Rem Primer
Rem TGT12 wad
9/8 ounce shot
18.5 gr Titegroup

The new reduced recoil Nitros have supposedly been reduced to 18.0 gr of Titegroup.

·
Registered
474 Posts
There is no need to beat yourself up, shoot lighter loads and you can avoid developing a flinch.

Current production Cheddite (and Fiocchi) primers are American size, Nobels are still a tiny bit bigger.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
I believe that this load is just what you are looking for!
1 1/8 oz Lead Shot
Hodgdon Clays - 18.6 gr
Win. 209 - Primer
Rem. Fig. 8 - Wad
1,200 fps
11,000 psi

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe that this load is just what you are looking for!
Hodgdon Clays - 18.6 gr
Win. 209 - Primer
Rem. Fig. 8 - Wad
1,200 fps
11,000 psi
Bingo! I assume this is a 1-1/8 oz load. OK to substitute Clay Dot same weight? Where is it published?
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Alliant only lists 1 load for Clay dot for 1200 fps 9/8ths loads @10870 psi. Many better powders available for those velocities.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Bingo! I assume this is a 1-1/8 oz load. OK to substitute Clay Dot same weight? Where is it published?
Thanks
Kevin
Yes, This a 1 1/8 oz load published on the Hodgdon load data website.
I can't answer your question on Clay Dot, I've never loaded it.
I would call Alliant and ask because it is not listed on the Alliant Reloading Data Site.
Good Luck,
Mark

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I don't know how closely it matches ballistically, but I've always thought my favorite load below felt real close.

STS/Nitro hull
W209 primer
19.3 grains of Green Dot
DRRF8 wad (any Fig 8 wad)
1-1/8oz shot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts