Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to duplicate this load on my MEC 9000. Anybody know powder, wad, and primer specs that Remington uses for the Premier STS Light Handicap load?
On the box it says 3Dr equiv, 1 1/8 #8 1200FPS.
I guess I could dismantle one and figure it out but maybe one of you gents knows.
Thanks

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
The powder is likely proprietary meaning you won't be able to buy it. Because of that, you will likely never exactly match the load. I am sure there are loads that are close though.

A great light load I use and close to it is:

Remington STS hull<br>
Win 209 Primer<br>
DRRF8 wad<br>
19.3 grains Green Dot<br>
1 1/8oz of #8 shot

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I did see some data that some one posted after cutting one up.

Rem STS Lt Hcp, Rem 209P primer, Rem Fig 8 wad, 17.4 gr of medium gr grey powder. Hard Magnum shot.

Closest recipe I could find was Alliant e3 powder, 17.5 gr 1200 f/s 10775 psi.

You should cut open one from the batch of shells that you like to see if they are still loading about 17.4 gr of powder.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
You should not cut open a shell and "see" what type of powder they are using. It is an OEM powder and not available for purchase.

A Remington representative has posted on these threads several times over the past years, always in response to the same question. The powders used in the 2 3/4 and 3 dram shells are blends of OEM powders and burn at Red Dot speeds. Colored dots in the mix (if present) do not relate to the canister powders reloaders can purchase.

In case you are interested, the Nitro 27 trap loads were originally loaded with an OEM equivalent of Int Clays. When they went to the new, reduced recoil formula they switched to Hodgdon's TiteGroup initially, then went to an OEM equivalent of TG.

mmgwhite, the hulls are STS, primer STS209 and wad Fig-8.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I belive if you were to read the back of the box,you would find that the factory load call's for a "TGT" wad. Ive been loading win209 primer,17.5grains 700X,and a tgt wad and it seems to work.No sunken crimps and not a lot of recoil. Just an idea.Good luck with your search..Ray

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
The formula ive seem is STS hull, Rem primer, tgt wd, 19grs titegroup.11/8 shot. Its in the book.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
grunt, that would get you 1250+ in f.p.s. this fellow was looking for 1200, 17.3 of tight group would get him what he is looking for with a TGT wad, that is what I shoot second shot doubles. Scott

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
If you use a Remington primer, a Remington hull, and the appropriate Remington (or clone) wad, any powder that gets you 1200 fps, with a suitable pressure (not too low) will give you the performance you are looking for.

Pick one.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I use 16 grains Tight group for singles 1 1/8 oz 1140 -1150, 17 to 17.3 1 1/8 oz 1200 second shot Dubs, 18 to 18.3 1240-1250 1 1/8 oz Caps load. It is a very clean powder. The singles loads is very pleasant. This is in Remington Hulls. Scott

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Interesting. For the Remington STS 1 1/8oz factory shells I have, a Fig-8 is used in the Light Target and Light Handicap, and a TGT-12 in the Nitro 27. An RXP-12 is used in the Gun Clubs. That is what was in the new shells I cut open.

That being said, it is possible Remington redid the loading for the Light Handicap.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I use remington hull,cheddite primer,DR fig8 econo wad 1 1/8 oz shot and 20gr International clays,shoots soft and I had this load checked for speed and psi,avg 1210 fps and 10100 psi matches pretty close and is a little more economical than the factory components.Jerry

·
Registered
507 Posts
grntitan, are you using that load from the 27? By my charts, you are only getting about 1160fps. I'm developing a new handicap load with green dot, and would really appreciate some insight.

Paul

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Paul,

I am not a long yardage shooter at all so the short answer is no. You are correct on the velocity of that load. However, It is in a very safe pressure range where as you can bump up the powder for a little more speed and still be safe. I have loaded the same load with 20 grains. I only stated that load as it is somewhat similar to the one the OP was searching for which is a light handicap load. I will concur that it is still 40fps off from the one requested however, I doubt it would be very noticeable to targets. As for 27yd use, I would think you would want to run it a little hotter than I stated but I'm just not experienced enough there to give any real feedback.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
grntitan's load has been my handicap load for a loooong time. I started out at 19.1gr and bumped it up to 19.3.

Equally good are the same components with 19gr of Am Sel or Solo 1000. Both are good for 1150fps. You can even substitute STS209 primers, but you lose a little velocity on the GD load.

I use e3 for all 24g, 7/8oz and 1oz loads. Here is a 1 1/8oz load using e3. It is a stellar performer, and VERY soft on the shoulder.

STS hull, W209 primer, 16.5gr e3, DRM Windjammer clone, 1 1/8oz WCM shot. Lyman's shows it as 1180fps @ 9700psi.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Grntitan....that's pretty much what I figured. I'm gonna work up a similar load that's a bit hotter for the longer yardage and see how it compares to my Fed Gold Medal loads. I'm really liking green dot for caps. Thanks for the response.

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts