Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a nib 30" light contour barrel for my wife's 11-87 Premier. Before I do something that I may regret I thought I would ask you Remington experts a couple of questions.
1. The Remington site talks about needing a gas cylinder spring(part 93498) on this, and in fact, all 11-87 barrels. What is this part? Her gun does not have any spring on the cylinder now and I do not see the part on the schematic.
2. Is there any problem using a light contour barrel with a standard barrel fore end?
3. The barrel is more of a matte finish instead of the premier blue. Was this barrel meant to be blued before use or is it O.K. as is?
Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The spring is a circular clip that fits around the outside of the gas cylinder, attached to the bottom of the barrel. It covers up holes that bleed off excess gas when you fire 3" shells. Without the spring clip, there isn't enough gas directed at the gas piston to generate enough force to work the bolt when using lighter powered 2 3/4" shells. If the barrel is marked 2 3/4" shells only, it won't have the spring clip, or the extra holes that need to be covered up. This is the case for 11-87 trap and sporting clays barrels. Mark

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Does your barrel have two external holes on the gas chamber (incorrectly called the "barrel hanger")?

As Mark says, they have to be covered with the spring else they will bleed off too much gas. All 3" barrels have this spring clip EXCEPT barrels 21" and shorter. These are turkey, slug and defense barrels.

The other barrels lacking this clip are those dedicated for trap, skeet and sporting clays, and are chambered for 2-3/4" only. The trap and skeet barrels have standard contour barrels. The sporting clays barrels were light contour.

The 30" light contour barrel was also made for the 1187 Premier, in which case it was polished and blued. There was also a satin version made, but it is not bead blasted but is simply not polished as much. The 1187 Special Purpose had matte barrels, but I believe all of these were standard contour barrels. These field barrels are all 3", have the spring clip, and came in 26", 28" and 30".

A light contour barrel will fit in a standard contour forend. The rear of the barrel will fit snugly in the stock, because the barrels share the same contour for the first few inches, out to just past the forcing cone.

The 30" light contour barrel, whether it is the 2-3/4" sporting clays, or the field version, make good trap barrels for those who prefer a lighter weight barrel. The weight savings with the longer barrels is 6 to 8 oz. The 2-3/4" barrel will cycle the lighter target loads. The field barrels will cycle the cheap promo loads found in the mart stores. Whether they will cycle anything lighter varies at that point from barrel to barrel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. The barrel does not have any external holes. It is a 2-3/4 sporting clay target barrel, so based on your comments I don't need the spring. Also the finish must be the satin type you mentioned. It is very slick like a premier barrel but not as dark or glossy. I have not heard of this finish before. Did they make a receiver in this finish as well?
Tony

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I'm not sure if the receiver on the sporting clays model would have been offered in a satin finish or not. I know they were offered in blue and nickel. I'm trying to recall if the top of the receiver was matted or not. I've shot three of the sporting clays models over the years that belonged to other shooters, but I don't recall the receiver finish. I know the nickeled receiver did not glare on top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts