Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there really any difference between the performance of Remington target loads vs. the Federals? I think where I am the Federals are $65.95 a case & the Remington's $6.99 per box. If the rems are any better, I may have to shoot them through my 1100 competition synthetic, thanks for the replies!
-ithaca

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
In my experience the lead shot in Federal Top Gun is hard enough to use for Handicap but I cannot say that about Remington Gun Clubs.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I shot two 99's in caps. One with Gun Clubs and the other with Top Guns. They were both 3 dram 1 1/8oz. of 7 1/2s and I can't tell the difference in either other than color.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Federals would be my choice, have shot both but prefer the Feds for Handicap ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
647 Posts
They are the two most popular shells at our monthly shoot and they both seem to do the job. The Remingtons are more desirable for reloading if that matters. I just got some of the top guns for 59.95 from Gander Mountain with free shipping. Its worth keeping and eye on them as well as Cabelas and BassPro for free shipping offers.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
My experience is that some flats of Top Gun and Estates have been unreliable in my automatic. I expect that is a function of the 'powder-of-the-week' that was loaded in those unreliable flats. I've never had that problem with Gun Clubs.

My limited visual inspection of the shot in Gun Clubs versus Estate/Top Guns is that the Estate/Top Gun shot looks rounder, shinier, and more uniform.

Reports from those who I generally trust, and who actually pattern and count pellet holes, say the were unable to get true Full Choke performance from Gun Clubs in guns that met that criteria with other ammo.

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
I shoot the top guns for 16`s and dbls .No problems with them . Would use them for hdcp also , but like to load my own. Cabelas joke of a sale is almost laughable . Rogers Sporting Goods in Liberty Mo less than 10 miles from my house is $52.99 + tax everyday price . No limit.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
Big M---- how could you show a pic of such a pitiful small amount of shells? Are you ramping up for a short practice session or what ;) I like the top guns also and often use them for singles and doubles.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Top Guns stink! Whatever powder they use in them makes me gag. Gold Medals are fine though. I haven't shot a Gun Club in several years, they aren't very popular around here.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
All things being equal, I will choose the Top Guns over the Remington Gun Club every time for 27yd handicap. I also believe that the Top Gun has better, and harder shot in them than the Gun Clubs do...

As far as the Top Guns stinking, you put the shell in the gun, not up your nose... Weren't you ever taught that the only hull you should ever smell are Federal Papers? That's Trapshooting 101 right there.....:anim_rofl2:

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
Trap 2 I cannot lie I have inhaled!!! Fed. Papers are definitely unique...you have to treat yourself to at least a case per year!

·
Registered
222 Posts
The reason Top Guns stink is the paper base wad, not the powder. Come to think of it, the Federal papers smell the same.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Trap 2 I cannot lie I have inhaled!!! Fed. Papers are definitely unique...you have to treat yourself to at least a case per year!
As have I..... I still remember shooting next to Earl Scripture, in Tuscon. After every shot he would put the hull to his nose and inhale the smoke. Didn't really understand what he was doing until I tried it myself..... Yeah, I'm an addict and will usually treat myself to a flat or two per year myself....

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Both loads have the same 3% antimony shot in them. So there is no difference between the two loads. Federal Estates have higher antimony than the Top Guns. At least they did some years back in a report I read in a well known shooting mag.

Now as long as both cycle fine/ or don't get stuck in your chambers, all is fine. Some guns just don't like some shells.

That said Gun clubs do have the edge if you want to reload them. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Both loads have the same 3% antimony shot in them. So there is no difference between the two loads. Federal Estates have higher antimony than the Top Guns. At least they did some years back in a report I read in a well known shooting mag.

Now as long as both cycle fine/ or don't get stuck in your chambers, all is fine. Some guns just don't like some shells.

That said Gun clubs do have the edge if you want to reload them. break em all. Jeff
You're right with some guns not liking certain shells. There's an experienced shooter @ my club that shoots the same 1100 competition synthetic as me & we both use the birchwood Casey save it shell catchers on our guns. For some reason 'challenger' shells don't work well in his gun for some odd reason. I've never shot them in mine for fear of not working. I've gone through rio's, topguns, & estates without any issues as far as function. I don't have a reloaded nor do I have any interest in reloading where I am for lack of powder supply; it's cheaper to just but shells rather than reload them. I was just thinking for a change I may switch over to Remington's for a bit, problem is they sell them by the box, not by the case @ the store, & I'm not sure of their limits. $6.99 for gun clubs, or $65.95 for topguns, I may try the rem's through my 1100 & see if there is a difference. I'd rather pay the $69.99 for (10) gun clubs than $79.99 for challenger shells that're just not that reliable IMHO.
-ithaca

1 - 20 of 24 Posts