Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, the title should be ....v. New Peters target shells. Apparently editing the title is above my pay grade..

OK, it's a slow day- no shooting yet in my progressive Left coast state...

So, shell trivia time.. I shoot a bunch of Gun Clubs, new and my reloads. I also recently picked up a few flats of the 'new' retro Blue Peters target shells. I had heard that they were essentially GC's with a different color hull.

My experience is: Close but not identical. The Peters have a different primer- see pic- and will pierce about 50% of the time in my Browning XT lower barrel . The GC's : no piercing. The Peters also smell different when fired and -subjectively- seem to have a bit more recoil 'thump' than the same box label spec GC.

Finally, when reloading with identical recipes on my 9000, the GCs will crimp noticeably higher than the Peters.
NOTE: Pics are new factory shells

They both work fine, new or reloads, but I was curious if anyone else has had a comparison to share. IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1948.JPG

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Not Sure. What is the Peters' shell last name now that they are married?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
At the Grand I asked the Remington reps and they said it is a different shell than the gun club. Different hull and components. Use STS loading data. That is what they said.
I wanted to get some of the Peters shells but after a year have still not found any. The dealers they mention on the website told me they don't carry them so why they are listed is beyond me????

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Colonel,

I was advised that they are primarily marketed through the smaller independent shops.

I found some at Murdoch's farm stores while on a road trip last Fall. Murdoch's – Remington - 12 Gauge Field & Target #7-1/2 Peters Premiere Blue 2-3/4" Shotgun Shell - Case

They were $50 / flat then... I have also found some recently at a couple local shops here NW WA. I haven't found anywhere that will ship..

"Use STS loading data" Interesting. Most published loads are the same for STS and GC hulls- but they don't quite interchange on my 9000. I'd have to adjust the crimp to do a big run.

Guess I'l dissect a couple new Peters and GC shells.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
All the Remington target and low-base field hulls are the same internal design/dimensions. The only difference is the color. The STS, Nitro27, Nitro Sporting Clays, American Clay and Field and Gun Club loads use the SAME primer, which has a 100% brass primer cup and steel battery cup. The component primers [yes, I know they are higher-priced than competitive brands] are the same as these. The rest of the low-base hulls (Peters Field & Target, Sport Loads, Game Loads, Shur-Shot, Heavy Dove) use a field primer; steel primer cup and battery cup.

Scott Hanes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts