Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread was getting too long but REMINGTON FIXED THE PROBLEM. They said that the small part that covers the primer USED to be made of brass but they switched to brass-plated steel a few years back. The steel must have been too hard and would hot allow the firing pin to set off the primer properly. Well the finally they have realized there is a problem and they are correcting that problem. They are now switching back to brass for that part and will place the new shells into production shortly. Thanks to all that sent me information on this subject. Motordoc

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thanks, Motordoc! Great news!

Best,
Dennis

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks MD, I guess I wasn't crazy as Remington told me, and it wasn't the Kgun.

Baron23 you can send the 40 cases to me to use for practice.

Alan

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
How about making the whole base of the hull from brass, instead of steel. No more stuck hulls or dented chambers.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Very generous of you Alan...but I think I will just have to shoot them.

I was at Krieghoff a few weeks ago and chewing the fat with Don Baughman. Don was absolutely convinced that Rem GC's were responsible for the increased number of chipped/pitted firing pins that they had seen lately. He indicated that Rem denied having changed anything or done anything that could have to do with this...but lo, here we are and they used steel in the primer impact area. Ain't that nice.

I'll just have to shoot them off in a gun with cheap firing pins LOL

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Very interesting.

I recently had to replace the firing pin on my K-80 after less than 5,000 rounds. I guess if you buy cheap shells they should be shot in cheap guns.

I have decided to stop using Cheddite and Fiocchi primers in the K-80 as well.

I suspect there could be a problem with the K-80 firing pins that exasperates the effect; but if using Winchester primers will let me go 20k plus rounds before causing a problem I will go with the Winny's on reloads. Saving $.20 a box isn't worth it.

Don

·
Registered
16,808 Posts
mrskeet:

We use the round magnet on a stick tools to pick up hulls. Gun clubs and Estates being steel base pick up easily. when going after STS or AA hulls you have to go to the primer so the magnet has something to grab.

When I want to rmove a primer from the station in my 9000 I use a little pocket magnet tool to pull it out.

So I have to assume the outer housing of these primers is a ferrous metal.

HM

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Halfmile - I took a few fired primers completely part. Every piece stuck to a magnet.

I remember when Winchester changed their 209s to a blue box, and their primers to a silver color. Their press releases said they were doing that because the price of zinc had dropped relative to what metal (copper?) they were using before. Where's the zinc?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.