Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I never really looked closely at the crimps on factory ammo. But today I opened a box of factory Remington Gun Club Target Loads and was surprised at the wide variety of crimps. I’m now thinking that I’ve been too hard on my reloads, pulling out too many. If these are acceptable, then my My MEC 9000 is doing a great job! My question is are all of these acceptable or did I just happen to get a bad batch? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
The hull length variation is causing that and it has been happening for years. Adjust your press to deliver hulls with perfect crimps or swirls. Neither of those will leak shot.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I agree with Curly. I try to adjust for at minimum a fully closed crimp. Then if I get a swirl on some of the longer hulls, it's OK. At least I don't have loose shot rolling around in the bottom of my shell bag!! I find more swirls on Remington STS and Nitros than I do on AA of either color. Loading 1.125 with AASH, Green Dot, Green or Clays and components according to published data.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
The crimps are supposed to be closed, but these are not leaking, so I would not fret over them. Depending on when they were produced (if you send me the code on the top tuck flap, I can tell you) it may have been during the last year before the last bankruptcy. Human error on the loading setup.

If you want to return them to me, I will see to it that they get tested and will report my results back to you! (sarcasm if you don't get it)

Not the standard that they should be, but not a big deal. You will find such crimps other brands of factory loads at some time or another.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
53 Posts
I guess I never really looked closely at the crimps on factory ammo. But today I opened a box of factory Remington Gun Club Target Loads and was surprised at the wide variety of crimps. I’m now thinking that I’ve been too hard on my reloads, pulling out too many. If these are acceptable, then my My MEC 9000 is doing a great job! My question is are all of these acceptable or did I just happen to get a bad batch? Thanks!

View attachment 1735847
I'd say that those crimps are pretty typical for factory Gun Clubs. I've shot a lot of Gun Clubs over the last few years and I've seen everything from shells with a small hole like the ones you pictured to swirled crimps. In spite of some inconsistent crimps due to variation in case length, they are my favorite cheap shell for 16s. I've shot at least 50 flats over the last 4 or 5 years and I don't think I've had more than 3 or 4 bad shells.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
The crimps are supposed to be closed, but these are not leaking, so I would not fret over them. Depending on when they were produced (if you send me the code on the top tuck flap, I can tell you) it may have been during the last year before the last bankruptcy. Human error on the loading setup.

If you want to return them to me, I will see to it that they get tested and will report my results back to you! (sarcasm if you don't get it)

Not the standard that they should be, but not a big deal. You will find such crimps other brands of factory loads at some time or another.

Scott Hanes
It's been like that at least the past 2 seasons. Sometimes the STS and N27s look that way too. I never cared as shot never fell out. There were a few shook just to make sure it wouldn't leak.

I had a blooper on a STS shell but the wad and shot cleared the barrel. I field stripped my a400 just to be sure all was kosher. You'll have these things. I will continue to buy Remington, when possible. Just found a flat of Gun Clubs at Cabela's that came home with me.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Shoot em up. My reloads look better than that as well. Of course I have a few AA HS hulls that tend to look that way from time to time. No big deal. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
877 Posts
In my experience with Gun Club shells, this is incredibly normal. As long as shot isn't spilling out, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you reload those, are they going to be more likely to have a hole in the middle of the crimp again?
Or does proper setup of your machine prevent that?

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
You should be able to tweak your reloader adjustments to eliminate the hole. Gun CLubs are great to reload, but do vary somewhat in length. Some folks sort for length, I've not found it nescessary.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
If you reload those, are they going to be more likely to have a hole in the middle of the crimp again?
Or does proper setup of your machine prevent that?
There's variation in the crimp due to the variation in length. I reload lots of Gun Clubs and they reload and crimp well: there can be a small hole in the middle or a slight swirl, but most crimp just fine (better than the factory crimps pictured, I'd say). I tried trimming them so they were a uniform length, but abandoned that idea because the meager improvement in results didn't warrant the additional effort. If the machine is correctly adjusted you get perfectly serviceable crimps.

·
Registered
300 Posts

View attachment 1735847
If the shot stays in then I suppose they are acceptable. Not pretty but acceptable.

·
Registered
16,808 Posts
Just pulled out a box of new GC's and looked at 15. /They varied from a slight swirl to a teeny hole, almost #9 size.
My loader is set for the same results, and AA come out perfect. No need to change anything. FWIW I hate hearing shot rattling around when I pull a box of reloads out of the truck.

HM

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
I've been using GCs for years and yes, the variation is quite typical. There were some I got about a year ago where the crimps were so poor that every few boxes I took out of the flat had a fair amount of shot rolling around in the boxes. Pulled the shells out and replaced the ones that were losing a lot of shot with some reloads and went to the line. Never had any that failed to go 'Bang!' or break birds - so long as the shot didn't all leak out.

I have had a number of GC shells that got mangled in various ways and made it through QC and into boxes that were amusing. There's one sitting on my desk right now that had the front end of the shell folded over on one edge during the crimp to the extent it won't fit in the chamber.

Budget shell, generally fine for targets at 16. I've reloaded many thousands of these hulls with great success.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Remington ammo customer service is (was?) great in regards to bad shells. About 2 yrs ago I had a couple Gun Clubs that were duds and one that was mangled in the box-from 3 different shot size/gauges. I called their customer service in Lonoke {(501)-676-4231} mostly just to report the issue. A very nice lady named Sandra Strickland followed up with me; I was amazed with the concern she showed. They sent 3 boxes of STS to cover the 3 bad GC shells I sent them. Wow! I figure they have 72 more failures in my future before I’m close to even with them. I suppose you could say I contributed in a small way to their bankruptcy- LOL. I hope they kept/rehire her and that Vista continues the superb customer service going forward. Because of this experience, I’m now very loyal to their products and plan to keep purchasing their shells when I can find them again.

Note: I’m not saying the varied crimps from the OP warrant complaining but any future readers of this thread that have major issues with some shells might try their luck with their customer service. At least it used to be good.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Ok, this one takes the cake...
I wish i'da got a picture before I cut it open but you can clearly see that it is brand new
16122969753888689636670124923501.jpg 16122970954024926266828606503013.jpg 1612297167444525954544536975150.jpg 16122977644281149241211238385442.jpg
This hull has been sitting on a gun rack at the club for a long time. I figured it was a reload but it ain't.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
This thread piqued my curiosity, so I picked out a box of factory 20 gauge Gun Clubs, a box of factory 12 gauge Gun Clubs and a random box of 12 gauge GC reloads. I don't know how many times the reloads have been fired, judging by their appearance, I'd say most have been fired twice and a couple three or four times, maybe more.

What stands out to me is how consistent they are. The 20's all have a small hole in the middle of the crimp, the factory 12's all have a minor swirl and my reloads range from having a tiny swirl in one shell to having a hole slightly smaller than a 7 1/2 shot pellet in one, but most have a very small hole, which I could adjust out, but this setting works well for all of the hulls I reload - the Gun Loads are the shortest, evidently.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts