Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
892 Posts
sir, I have a factory stainless Remington matched set of 4 choke tubes marked as follows, #1" Remington Super Full Trap" #2 " Remington Long Handicap .041" #3 " Remington Mid-Handicap .034"
#4 marked " Remington Singles .027, will sell all 4 for 100.00, thanks.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These chokes are not a set. The Singles, Mid-Handicap, and Long Handicap are a set for a non-target trap barrel. The super full Trap choke is for a Target trap barrel.

· Registered
892 Posts
sorry, they came as set with the gun, identical length, thread size, 4 notch tops for tube wrench, do not remember if the barrel said target on it, if anyone knows and has a Rem barrel they will fit let me know.

· Registered
15,219 Posts
Just a FYI, these weren't particularly special chokes. The overbore trap barrel had approx .018 built into the barrel BEFORE the choke (basically a choke before the choke). You can use any standard rem-choke, just add .018 to whatever the choke is marked, IE IC becomes light full.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had two 1100 Classic Trap guns that took the Singles, Mid & long chokes. Their barrels were .727 on the inside. The "Trap" labeled choke tubes are for the barrels labeled Target (the * represent stars) and these barrels are backbored to .745 and have about .020 restriction built into the barrel. That is why an "Extra Full Trap" which has the same .020 restriction as a regular Modified choke. With the Target barrel you have .020 plus .020 in the choke which equals a Total of .040 or extra full.
John

· Registered
6,201 Posts
Those "Target" barrels differed greatly from when they were introduced until they went out of production. Early ones like the barrel on my mid-'80s 870TC had 0.745" bores with 0.018" to 0.020" taper before the choke but as time went on, the bores became smaller. My son's 870TC from 1994 has a 0.733" bore. Because my barrel shoots so soft on every 870 on which it was tried, right around 2000 I called Remington to see if I could buy him a barrel with a larger bore. The man with whom I spoke was great in that he went into their warehouse and measured barrels but called back to tell me that every "Target" barrel still in stock had a 0.727": bore. It seems that less knowledgeable gun owners and those not having access to a bore micrometer were understandably confused by the names of their choke tubes and didn't understand that the taper added to the choke tube's constriction so Remington did away with the "Target" barrel concept and went to the standard 12-gauhe bore diameter and renamed the chokes as MDHyatt mentioned in the second post to this thread.

Since we have two 870TCs, I have two complete sets of those original "Target" barrel chokes. You REALLY have to put any of them you want to use on paper as the patterns will vary wildly.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does your 870 barrel have astricks or stars by the "Target" printed on the barrel. I have an 1100 sporting clays with "Target" written on the barrel w/o astricks or stars and it is a .727 barrel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts