Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very old, probably 1940's, Remington Blue Rock trap machine that I have rebuilt and use. Does anyone have any information about this machine. I would like to throw doubles but can figure out how.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
A picture of the unit would help. I have 3 old Remington traps but only one is capable of throwing doubles. I don't think that I would because I'd have to crank up the old spring and possibly break it.

Ed Yanchok

·
Banned
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A picture of the unit would help. I have 3 old Remington traps but only one is capable of throwing doubles. I don't think that I would because I'd have to crank up the old spring and possibly break it.

Ed Yanchok
Ed,

I use my machine regularly. I made some new parts to improve the traps operation and added a new spring. Throws terrific singles. Currently, my camera is out of commission so I can't post pictures. In any case, the difficulty I am having in throwing doubles is that there is not enough room on the "table" between the pivot point and a stop to accommodate 2 clays. almost but not quite. I think my machine is a model #6122.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If there is not enough room on the throwing table to accommodate 2 targets with the target stop set in the farthest rearward position, the machine is not capable of throwing doubles.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I had an old Remington at one time.
There was an extra plate I had to bolt on to throw doubles.
Basically to make room for both targets.
It was different but it worked.
I don't recall the model.

·
Banned
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there is not enough room on the throwing table to accommodate 2 targets with the target stop set in the farthest rearward position, the machine is not capable of throwing doubles.
Trap2,

For reasons that make no sense, this machine will throw doubles if I remove the installed stop and replace it with a temporary one time use one. There is plenty of power. Maybe what I am dealing with is a design fault. I have noticed that when throwing doubles with the temporary stop, on occasion, the clay closest to the hinge will shatter as it leaves the table.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Trap2,

For reasons that make no sense, this machine will throw doubles if I remove the installed stop and replace it with a temporary one time use one. There is plenty of power. Maybe what I am dealing with is a design fault. I have noticed that when throwing doubles with the temporary stop, on occasion, the clay closest to the hinge will shatter as it leaves the table.
Same answer: If there is not enough room on the throwing table to accommodate 2 targets with the target stop set in the farthest rearward position, the machine is not capable of throwing doubles.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Does any one know what color these were when new? I just acquired an old Blue Rock and will display it in den when done. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The one that you're showing the catalog for should throw doubles. What brand of targets were you throwing when they were breaking?

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
348 Posts
Traders,

The fact that the name Remington appears on the trap base with Chamberlin Cartridge & Target Company shows that your trap was manufactured after 1933 when Remington purchased Chamberlin. The Patent number 1819567 actually refers to an improvement to the target carrier or what they called the "shovel type arm" and is depicted on and makes reference to Remington's Miracle Trap, Patent No. 1771865. Blue Rock Traps were sold at least up till 1971.

whiz-bang.

Thanks for the information for adjusting the Blue Rock Trap from singles to doubles. I added it to my files and if you have that manual, I would ask that you consider scanning it and sending a copy to the Trapshooting Hall of Fame for their library.

Joe Woods,

Here's a 1971 advertisement showing Remington-Peters Traps and colors just as you stated. However, a friend contacted Remington a few years ago regarding the history of factory colors used on their traps and was told they had no information in their files and that old-time employees said they used whatever color they had in stock and that is why you will find several different colors used on the same model trap.

One thing to note is that there are folks who purchase the old Remington "Expert" Traps (Pat. No.: 469,905; Pat. Date: March 1, 1892) believing they have a trap from the 1800's or early 1900's. Remington added their name on this trap shortly after purchasing Chamberlin in 1932-33. Expert Traps with just the Chamberlin name on them were manufactured from 1892-1932.

Enjoy Our History,

REMINGTON-PETERS -Trap & Skeet Equipment, 1971.jpg

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
KennyRay I would send the manual to you to scan. When done send back. I like reading and looking through this old stuff. And if I find another copy I would certainly donate it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts