Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Excuse me but I have to call BS that clay target ammo is the bottom of the market. How many others shot at millions of targets last week. Did hunters kill millions of live birds. Did rifle and pistol shooters shoot millions of rounds at what? How many rounds do you shoot in a rifle/pistol tournament 400/500? Hell clay target shooters shoot 300 to 500 a day for 5 days. If back orders have to be filled, whose back orders? Don’t you think some of those back order should be showing up in the market or are they setting in some warehouse just waiting, for what I don’t know.

Over 56 million targets thrown in 2019, everyone needed one shell so tell me we are the small market of all the users.

Don
There's about 5 BILLION 22lr alone, made every year. Including target and hunting loads, 12 gauge isn't even in the top five calibers/gauges made per year.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
So stealing and leaking private company information, and subsequently eroding consumer trust in the industry is the answer? And then what, what does it solve? It certainly won't make ammo more available.
Seems to me there is already plenty of consumer distrust in the ammo manufacturing story....they've been telling us over and over they are making ammo.....none to be found.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Walmart here last week had several boxes of STS 1145 8 and 71/2 last Sunday. Also had Winchester Super Handicaps.
Still same price $7.87/ box.
Didn’t last long.
The 1300 Winchester 11/8 Sporting was $8.78/ box.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Walmart here last week had several boxes of STS 1145 8 and 71/2 last Sunday. Also had Winchester Super Handicaps.
Still same price $7.87/ box.
Didn’t last long.
The 1300 Winchester 11/8 Sporting was $8.78/ box.
Unfortunately for us here in the Tampa area of FL, the resellers scoop up everything as soon as it shows up. Have only found some 20 gauge Winchester Universal promo junk available, and that was only 4 of the 4 packs. I keep trying and maybe I will get lucky, but so far it is about as difficult as picking the winning Lotto numbers.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You throw large numbers around. Where are these 5 billion 22’s shot?

Don
Everyone shoots .22 and it’s still the cheapest way to have fun. I don’t have a hard time believing 5 billion a year. When my kids were still home we’d go through a box of 500 on a Sunday afternoon.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Our local Walmart has been getting in Remington Nitro Pheasant loads in for $13 A box here and there. I’ve been buying a few of those.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If it goes on too long, there will be shooters lost who won't come back. We're seeing fewer guys this summer, and I'm wondering if those who are missing will return, especially if and when ammunition comes back, it's 25% higher.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My preferred load is Winchester AA's, Remington Nitro and STS is 2nd, and after that Federal or anything else. The first brand that I can get a pallet of will be my preferred load. I don't mind if it has chilled or magnum shot in it as I use enough choke that I don't think it matters. I know this from experience, I just feel I get harder breaks with the AA's. I said harder breaks not more of them !! I will support the manufacturer that is willing to support my sport !!! I would like to add that I shoot between 25,000 -30,000 rounds a year so a pallet for me is not hoarding. I'm a user not a hoarder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I definitely agree that more 22lr rounds are shot vs any other caliber or gauge. Right now there is extremely limited availability in my area ( northern. NH). Local Walmart’s rarely have anything.
Everyone shoots .22 and it’s still the cheapest way to have fun. I don’t have a hard time believing 5 billion a year. When my kids were still home we’d go through a box of 500 on a Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Earlier in the thread someone commented on police pistol training. I read somewhere that the average police-person gets something like 2 boxes (100 rounds) per YEAR for practice. That by itself is NOT going to account for the great shortage.

In parallel threads we've covered how 3 million new firearm owners per month in the US is not likely to be causing much of a shortage, as they also get 1-2 boxes, get up to speed, then put it in the closet. They are not shooting millions of clays per year.

I would sooner believe it's Biden's henchmen doing something like what they did in December 2012, called "Operation Chokepoint". Some of you will recall they cut off the retail ammo supply to usher in the Obama administration. IIRC it lasted 6-12 months.

One feature of that program was they held foreign imported ammo in customs -- I have seen no signs that they're doing that this time, but I am not in the industry, can't say & don't know. I only know some people at one club have been getting imported shotgun ammo, mostly 12ga, but also a surprising amount of 20ga.

Another feature of that Biden program was they had the US Military buy up enormous amounts of the normal commercial output. This way the ammo companies were not "put out", only us law-abiding sports shooters were.

One way or another, a growing number of us can "feel" that if they are running 24/7, something does not add up, and there is somehow more to the story.

PS- my local dealer has tens of thousands of primers, all once-fired. Very reasonable pricing.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts