Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to remington.com and the new owners claim they're working 24/7 making ammo and there should be plenty of it very soon. Sounds like good news.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
They are running 24 hours per day and have been for at least several months, per the gun club manager on the grounds.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
They are running 24 hours per day and have been for at least several months, per the gun club manager on the grounds.
And the question remains, "Then where's all the ammo?" Yes, I know there's a huge demand and a huge backlog of orders and probably end users that we don't even think about. But I consider what my little old MEC 9000 would crank out if I could run it 24 hrs a day, for several months at a steady pace. 'Twould be several pallets of shells. I can't imagine the rounds per hour that their industrial quality machines can crank out.

Upon reflection, there are lots of different kinds of shotshell ammo that is sold beyond the target loads we're interested in, not to mention the whole metallic line of ammo with even more variations. And then, you gotta' have components to build shotgun shells. We all know how THAT'S going right now.

Add in the "panic buying" of any and every shell that hits the shelves of the retailers. Scalpers and Hoarders take their toll.

Tough situation we're in right now.
T

·
Vendor
5,196 Posts
If the NRA or other gun organization could gain access to the shipping department of the ammunition manufacturers and copy the bills of lading or shipping manifests, that would show where all of the supposed 24/7 ammunition is going and to who. These has to be a disgruntled employee out there somewhere who could blow the lid off of this farce.

·
Registered
14,120 Posts
If the NRA or other gun organization could gain access to the shipping department of the ammunition manufacturers and copy the bills of lading or shipping manifests, that would show where all of the supposed 24/7 ammunition is going and to who. These has to be a disgruntled employee out there somewhere who could blow the lid off of this farce.
So stealing and leaking private company information, and subsequently eroding consumer trust in the industry is the answer? And then what, what does it solve? It certainly won't make ammo more available.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have come full circle on this issue. At first I bought the story but the reality is with all the Covid lockdowns and slowdowns last year had to be a down year for shooting which in theory would have resulted in at least a short term surplus.
Additionally NO ONE is buying AA Superhandicap for personal or home defense!!!
Very little is reaching the consumer????
My theory all along is that they are idling certain production lines in favor of others! So yes they are running 24/7 just not making target ammo.
The only other explanation is conspiracy theory stuff.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I’m sorry but I’ve just never bought in on the claims the big 3 are running 24/7 making target ammo.
Watch YouTube videos and see how fast they show to make it.
Something just doesn’t add up to me.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Pat,
You are correct, I just looked at the video Randy posted a month ago and it says and shows all types of ammo being made. The part that stuck with me was them hand loading shotgun shell boxes.
Guess I’m disappointed no shotgun target ammo is showing up locally yet.
Not the first time I’ve been wrong and won’t be the last either.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Because shotguns and breaking clay targets are a big part of our lives, and many of our friends and acquaintances are involved with shotgun target shooting, we assume that we are a big part of the picture. But, compared to rifle and pistol ammo use, we are a small part of the ammunition market. In our metro area, there are 16 gun ranges. Two of them throw clays, along with rifle pistol bays. The other 14 ranges are rifle, pistol only, open 7 days a week, about 10 hours a day, with guys pounding away with rifles and pistols. Add to that police departments and every Tom and Harry shooting bottles and cans outside of towns, and it adds up to a lot of metallic ammo.
Shotgun ammunition will come but not until the other market is satisfied.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our Scheels has it, but it is pricey! Around $10 for Gun Clubs and $14 for STS.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is my two cents worth, I think the ammo is being produced but it has to be the wholesaler (Gouging) or the local govt controlling it. It is our right to have arms but not the ammo! One way or another the liberals will try their best to take or control what they can.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It may be that the price out the Remington door is not that much of an increase over 18 months ago if we use WalMart as a barometer. Their prices considering the current situation are reasonable IMO. Gouging...........sure, either by the distributor or retailer or both for the majority of the shotgun shells.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In the last 2 weeks I have been able to get several boxes of Remington STS at 2 of my local Walmart's. The deal is they have a 1 box limit and it doesn't sit on the shelf long. Paid $7.87 a box. It is coming, but very slowly.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Excuse me but I have to call BS that clay target ammo is the bottom of the market. How many others shot at millions of targets last week. Did hunters kill millions of live birds. Did rifle and pistol shooters shoot millions of rounds at what? How many rounds do you shoot in a rifle/pistol tournament 400/500? Hell clay target shooters shoot 300 to 500 a day for 5 days. If back orders have to be filled, whose back orders? Don’t you think some of those back order should be showing up in the market or are they setting in some warehouse just waiting, for what I don’t know.

Over 56 million targets thrown in 2019, everyone needed one shell so tell me we are the small market of all the users.

Don

1 - 20 of 34 Posts