Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentelman I need your advice. My neighbor's son shoots a youth model 870 20 guage. On new Years Eve day, they went pheasant hunting. The barrel burst about 8"-10" back from the muzzle. The barrel shows sight bulging on left side with rupture on right hand side. He was shooting factory Remington shells(not reloads)20 guage 2 3/4 7.5 shot. He gave me the last shot fired but couldn't find the second to the last shot fired. Barrel has not been cleaned since the burst. I'm convinced that the barrel was not obstructed by mud nor field debris (no evidence of mud on barral at all). I do not have pic's at this time,intend today I will. I feel the barrel was defective. Luckly no one was hurt. I'm going to return the barrel to Remington,in the hopes they will replace the barrel. Not looking for any legal action. Just want your thoughts on what to expect from Remngton prior to my conversation with them.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Tom: You're not going to like my answer but if the shells were factory new then it certainly sounds like an obstruction of some sort, and Remington is likely to say the same thing. Thankfully nobody was injured, right?

Good luck.

-Gary

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
Stuck wad? I assume this is a choke tube barrel. Does the choke tube look OK, particularly the skirt?

And, more importantly, thank goodness the lad wasn't hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.