Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions on current value of one of these guns. 98% condition. Made in the early 2000's. Limited production as I understand it.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
500 - 600 is what I have been seeing

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
The problem is they are SUPER heavy for a 16ga. My suspicion is that Remington made the barrel the same OD as the 12ga so they could use some 12ga parts in the mfg. They are nothing like the 16ga wingmasters from the 60s and 70s.

·
Registered
183 Posts
$400ish. Too heavy to be anything but a curiosity. I have one of the newer express 16 ga models with all these deficiencies. Like the 1960's vintage wingmaster much better.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Right, Rick. I'm told Hitapair got his first 16 gauge as a 14th birthday present in 1913.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
A friend of mine went to a local gun show recently and saw what he thought was a nice shape 12 gauge 870 for $200.00. He brought it out to the club to shoot and found out on the line that his 12 gauge shells would not fit. I took the forend off the gun and on the bolt it said 16 gauge. He took the gun into the club house and placed a sign on the gun stating it was a 16 gauge 870 for sale.

He sold the gun that day but I am not sure how much he sold it for. The 870 was from the 60's.

Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
The problem is they are SUPER heavy for a 16ga. My suspicion is that Remington made the barrel the same OD as the 12ga so they could use some 12ga parts in the mfg. They are nothing like the 16ga wingmasters from the 60s and 70s.
I bought three, two wingmasters and an Express in the first two years of production. I won't go into detail why three but I really wanted one and was trying to get just one that would operate correctly. Point being, all weighed more than my 12ga's with the express weighing as much as my 1100TB's.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I worked at Gander Mtn at the time when these came out, and was astounded by the weight and the wall thickness of the barrels. Someone @ Remington really screwed the pooch on that project.

On the plus side, you could probably feed them a steady diet of the most magnum 16ga shells ever devised because it would take a miracle and a half to blow one up.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are close, Lit. DPS told me I was the oldest person they ever issued a DL to when I renewed my license last spring.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I got the heavy newer 16 ga 870 and loved it for clays and doves. It was NOT an Italian sports car in silhouette LOL.
To Each His Own.
olde pharte

1 - 18 of 18 Posts