Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this beautiful 870 TB thinking I would use it as a back up gun during bad weather days at the sporting clays shoots I attend. When I got it I could not believe how beautiful the gun was. I wanted to just change out the wood and use the gun as intended but not know much about it I hate to mess up a possible collectible 870 TB since I can get another one just about anywhere to do what I need. I have sent Remington an email along with a few pictures asking them to date the gun for me. I only see one problem with the stock, it has a chip on the right side that somebody glued back on that looks terrible and it should be repaired by a professional other than that it is a very nice gun. Anybody have any idea how old the gun maybe? The barrel and receiver are numbered the same and I noticed it does not have the little "bulls-eye" stamp between Remington and Wingmaster.
Thanks,
Bill watergun 002 (800x600).jpg watergun 003 (800x600).jpg watergun 004 (800x600).jpg watergun 004 (800x600).jpg watergun 005 (800x600).jpg watergun 009 (800x600).jpg

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Looks like 1953. Cant read the first letter. ZZ = 1953
229704V, and on the bbl that same number plus g7V Full * overtop.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like C 7 Z + on the barrel, I was thinking it was a Z Z also. Here it same picture a little bigger. watergun 005 (800x550).jpg
Thanks for the reply.
Bill

·
Registered
274 Posts
not an expert but i don't think the stock is the original, the checkering pattern is not like my tb. It is a great gun they smoke targets with the fixed full choke. mike

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Remington's date of mfg is not very accurate. If they were match.com I would be dating Nancy Pelosi................

Dam fine shooting iron though!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I have a 1950's era 870TB that I got from the original owner. Like the example above, it is marked "Model 870TB" under the "Wingmaster" logo. It also does not have the bulls-eye stamp between the "Wingmaster" and the Remington. I got it from a locally noted shooter who won many an ATA shoot plus a lot of non registered "bird races" and "games" with it. It has been shot in excess of 250,000 times and has a crack in the receiver extending outward from the ejection port.

The forearm checkering pattern is pressed checkering and appears to match the above pattern. The checkering pattern on my 870TB butt stock does not match and is much smaller and more simple. it is also pressed checkering. My serial number is hard to read as the original owner polished the heck out of the receiver. I can read 561***V. My stock is similar in appearance to the one above (highly figured) but is not a monte carlo.

I do not think that the gun is an 870TC as it is clearly marked 870TB. If the stock is from an 870TC it will have cut checkering (raised points) not pressed checkering (no points).

Also, did not the early 1950's 870TC's have a slightly different rib design at the receiver end of the barrel with the first couple inches of rib appearing to be a milled design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Call Remington. Give them the serial number and they will tell you the year of manufacture and the original configuration. They've been pretty accurate the times I've called them.

As to whether the wood is TC or TB wood, take off the stock and look at the head of the stock that fits against the receiver. The stock of my 1960 TC is marked "TC" on the head.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
As a general rule C grade guns have a higher grade wood and cut checkering. B grade wood is not quite as nice and come with pressed checkering. Im not 100% sure that applies to the older trap guns though.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Have owned many TB's and TC's, looks like old TC wood on a TB receiver, really has no collector value, shoot the heck out of it and enjoy a fine old gun.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I don't think it is a Remington stock. The bottom of it slopes downward from the wrist much more and the raised portion of the comb is longer than any of my factory 870 stocks. Also, the checkering pattern looks "fuller" than any of mine except a later TC but that gun's pattern extends back farther instead of upward toward the top of the wrist. Finally, as mentioned above, the checkering should be pressed like the forend's and the stock's checkering appears to be cut. But like any older 870 trap gun, it's a great piece and that stock just might add to its shooting comfort.

Ed

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
As mentioned above, there is really no collectors value to this gun, even if the stock were perfect. It is what it is. Shoot it, enjoy it, and break targets with it......

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I heard from Remington and they say the gun is a 1953 Model 870 TB. I will look for another barrel and a non-MC stock and just shoot the thing and enjoy it. I have $375 invested in it as it is so no big deal.
Thanks for all the replys guys.
Bill

·
Registered
274 Posts
To School Teacher: I am on my second receiver as mine developed a similar crack, I wasn't sure if it was safe to use, but i think I was using it for a long while before i noticed the crack. As to the stock my tb has a MC and I think they were made with either stock configuration. Hate to admit it but it is my favorite trap gun, and the only one I will not part with. And wjm5806 for 375 I think you got a very good nice piece with good looking wood. mike

·
Registered
860 Posts
This is what the original 870 TB looks like with the straight trap stock, two options on stocks, Monte Carlo and this. The full choke barrels smoke targets as this one does. Great old guns. IMG_2347.JPG

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
To WJM5806: I discussed the the crack in my 870 TB's receiver with a Remington at the Grand a few years ago. He commented that the 870 locks up in the barrel so shooting with a minor crack in the receiver is not a problem. The person I got the 870TB from, now deceased, won the Kentucky State handicap event with it in 1967. I watched him win hundreds of "games" and non ATA "bird races" with it. It is a great old gun. I shoot a 1987 870 TC Trap with a 1980 870TB 30" non step rib fixed full choke barrel. It really smokes targets from anywhere on concrete.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I will look for another barrel and a non-MC stock and just shoot the thing and enjoy it.
If your goal in seeking a straight-comb stock is lowering the comb height, you won't realize that as both stocks have the same comb height - the recoil pad is lower on the Monte Carlo version but the comb-to-rib relationship is the same.

Ed

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
My TB from '69 has wood that would easily pass as TC except for the pressed checkering...smokes targets just the same and is one dang fine shooting machine...one day I'd like to find a same era 30" MOD trap barrel

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
That is really nice wood. I do not think it is original and TBs ,while they had good wood, were nothing like that nice. If the gun has a crack in the receiver I would send it to Remington for a replacement. Though rare, I have seen a couple of cracked receivers on 870s. Those I have know about were replaced free of charge but, that's been awhile. Not sure if they would still do it for free these days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts