Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with 12 gauge 870 when after firing, the shells sometimes do not want to eject completely. I have to pump several times to get them out. Could this be caused by the metal springs?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Multiple quick things to check. Is it with all brands of ammo or one type? The extractor could be dirty, chamber could be dirty.

Are you dropping the shell into the chamber then closing the action or dropping the shell in and letting the lifter bring the shell up into the chamber?

You might not be getting the action closed hard enough for the extractor to close around the rim of the shell.

Pull the barrel and make sure the grove where the extractor sits when the action is closed is good a clean and the area behind the edge of the extractor is clean.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Multiple quick things to check. Is it with all brands of ammo or one type? The extractor could be dirty, chamber could be dirty.

Are you dropping the shell into the chamber then closing the action or dropping the shell in and letting the lifter bring the shell up into the chamber?

You might not be getting the action closed hard enough for the extractor to close around the rim of the shell.

Pull the barrel and make sure the grove where the extractor sits when the action is closed is good a clean and the area behind the edge of the extractor is clean.
Good points. I use mostly steel hulled gun club hulls for my reloads. I clean my guns quite well as with little oil since that is like a magnet for burnt powder. I wondered about the two springs on each side of chamber but they should not interfere with extraction...I think.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a ejection problem with my 870 skeet. Every now and then the hull would stick in the chamber. It never happened with brass hulls. It was always with steel hulls. I polished the chamber and it seemed to solve the problem.
George

·
Registered
297 Posts
Like George said above. I polished the chamber of an 870 on mine last winter, lightly I may ad with some flitz and micro fiber. Worked fairly well, few hang ups.

Since you are reloading I would suggest adjusting your resize station on your reloader. I usually keep mine in check, but when I don't it'll cause extraction problems on any gun shooting the shell. Try adjusting the sizing collet before messing with the gun, but a light Polish won't hurt.

Most steel base hulls I reload don't have many issues with extraction or ejection. But that's limited to getting the reloader to the tolerance of factory ammo or beyond regarding base size.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Are they sticking in the barrel and not extracting from it or are they pulling out of the barrel but not ejecting from the gun. If it is the latter the ejector (not the extractor which is on the bolt), is built in as part of the back side of the barrel and when you bring the slide back it hits the ejector. The extractor is part of the bolt and it catches the edge of the shell to extract it from the barrel. If they are sticking in the barrel, try what people said above, the chamber is dirty or the shells are not sized correctly or the extractor is damaged or spring behind it is weak (there is a spring and also another piece that press against the extractor to keep it in place).

·
Registered
672 Posts
My wife and I shoot 870 field guns in 20 and 12 ga. as backup guns after going to O/U. Only time it sticks is when the guns are dry. We spray Rem oil on the slide rails and ejectors and they become smooth ejectors. Winchester shells seem to be a problem as their diameter varies more then others.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have recently changed to using just brass and the problem seems to have stopped. Also did a more thorough cleaning on the ejector. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Have had the same problem with a used barrel bought on eBay. It sticks with factory Winchester promo ammo. Sticks the shell in the chamber on firing.
Some of the Rio loads caused the same issue.
This chamber has been lightly polished with a drill, steel wool and a chamber brush. No cure.
Any one know the go no go dimension on chamber diameter at the case head?
Considering a brake hone and polish with lapping compound. But would not take this step with out measurement before, during and after.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are some very informative YouTube videos that address this issue. I fixed a friends 870 express that would jam more often than not. There was a very subtle ridge on the barrel extension adjacent to the chamber. A light touch with a mini sanding drum on a dremel tool followed by polishing solved this issue.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've been loading Gun Clubs with steel bases all summer. They have worked well through my 870 Comp until the temperature started to go down. Seems that they stick for a couple seconds then shuck out. It's like they need to shrink back down. Not a problem if your shooting trap but if your doing some type of doubles not good. Won 't shoot steels in my Kolar O/U tubes ether because they really stick in it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The only problem I have ever had like this was with Winchester trap loads. Their field loads never jam and no other trap loads do. It's the ammo , not the gun. My 80's Wingmaster (not the low end Express they sell now) kept hanging up with them. They even give me some trouble in my Remington 90T. Maybe the higher priced Winchester trap loads are OK, but, the cheap ones don't work well in any 870 I've seen them used in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts