Trapshooters Forum banner

Remington 870 Classic Trap question

1728 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  dagnarble
I recently acquired a Remington 1100 Classic Trap. In the factory box was what I will describe as a “magazine weight.” However, with the weight is a Allen headed machine screw. The magazine cap has a hole in the center of it, but not large enough for the screw to fit through it.

I apologize for being so dense, but is there something more to installation than dropping the weight in the magazine tube on top of the spring and installing the cap ? If so, what is the Allen screw for ? It won’t fit go through the cap unless I drill a larger hole in it ?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,877 Posts
Is the hole in the cap threaded?
If so, not sure if it is original, only thing I can think it would be for is a sling.
That weight looks homemade, a
I would guess it goes in with the magazine spring. Like a 2 shell plug in a field gun

· Registered
15,223 Posts
If you drop it in the magazine tube and it's OD is smaller than the ID of the spring, it's just going to slide back and forth, and may end up having a slide hammer effect on the magazine tube threads or the follower and barrel support. If you can't figure out how to attach it to something, you should leave it out.

The cap screw may be there to attach a washer to (that's missing) to prevent this from happening...

· Registered
6,255 Posts
The hole in the mag cap has two uses; draining water should the gun get dunked (they are duck guns, first and foremost), and for attaching an Uncle Mike's sling swivel to the cap. They are not threaded; the swivel has a post that holds a circlip on the back side of the cap.
I believe skeet_man is right; get a washer that is wider than the spring and screw it to the top of the weight with the Allen screw.

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
I attached an Uncle Mike's sling swivel, like entropy observed, through the hole in the magazine cap in an 870 field grade gun. As memory serves, I may have expanded the hole with a drill to allow the attachment of the sling swivel.

I bought the 870 in 1965 and it came with an 8 oz. weight that fitted into the magazine tube behind the cap and was held in place by the magazine spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.