Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever hunted with these guns? I have two model 742's & a 750 chambered in a .270, but seen a couple of these pumps for sale @ a recent gun show. Was wondering if people who've shot them would recommend purchasing one in the future for a spare if need be!
Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have had a couple of the 760/7600 pumps in 30.06 and they shoot fine. They are lighter than the 742/7400's and have a lot less trouble. My experience with 742/7400 was you either had one that worked great or you had a piece of crap. The 7400's had a tendency to be very particular on the ammo you were shooting and then still at times not kick the shells out.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
These are great guns. Both the 760 and 7600's are very under-rated rifles. Kind of looked down upon as "meat rifles" or Amish Machine guns in Penn.
I have had a 760 with a plain jane K-4 Weaver scope in 06' for 30 years and have killed a couple of deer and 7 cow elk. I purchased a 7600 30-06 for my nephew who loves his.
Another close friend has what I consider the ultimate Elk rifle. A 7600 in 35 Whelen with a 1.75 x 5 Burris scope.
And my simpleton mind does not have to think about how it works when game is running because of all of the time spent during my youth and adulthood using pump shotguns.
Many of them can be surprisingly accurate, esp. the 7600's with their free floating barrel.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are great guns. Both the 760 and 7600's are very under-rated rifles. Kind of looked down upon as "meat rifles" or Amish Machine guns in Penn.
I have had a 760 with a plain jane K-4 Weaver scope in 06' for 30 years and have killed a couple of deer and 7 cow elk. I purchased a 7600 30-06 for my nephew who loves his.
Another close friend has what I consider the ultimate Elk rifle. A 7600 in 35 Whelen with a 1.75 x 5 Burris scope.
And my simpleton mind does not have to think about how it works when game is running because of all of the time spent during my youth and adulthood using pump shotguns.
Many of them can be surprisingly accurate, esp. the 7600's with their free floating barrel.
Yes the .35 whelen would be the ultimate gun, I had a chance to buy one in a 750 woodsmaster semi; but went with the .270 instead. I figured it was more practical & less punishing for whitetail! :1a: Cheers!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had a couple of the 760/7600 pumps in 30.06 and they shoot fine. They are lighter than the 742/7400's and have a lot less trouble. My experience with 742/7400 was you either had one that worked great or you had a piece of crap. The 7400's had a tendency to be very particular on the ammo you were shooting and then still at times not kick the shells out.
True, I guess semi's are known to bemore temperamental than a pump, I believe they use to call the 742's "500 shot throwaways" because of how the bolt rubs on the inside steel of the receiver. My father & I both have them each in 30-06 & (thankfully) we've have no troubles so far. I switch between that & a 750 woodsmaster in .270! I think the 7600 would probably be a good investment! Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I had 2 model 7400's and you could take the exact same box of shells and they would feed perfectly though one of them (without shooting them) and the other gun half of them would stick in the chamber. A friend had a model 4 and it would jerk the corner of the brass off and leave the empty in the barrel no matter what you shot in it. Never had any of these issues with the 7600's or 760's.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I use to run a gun shop years ago and got to shoot many different guns. I was super impressed with 760 Remington carbines . I shot a 243 and a 308 and they both shot 3 shot groups under 1 inch at 100 yds.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
I was surprised at the accuracy of a friend's 760 in 308. Another friend has one in 243 he uses for coyotes and deer.

Remington made a 7600 in 223 that took a detachable AR15 mag. By the time I decided to get one, found they've been discontinued.

The two most common ones in the used racks at local gun shops are 300 Savage and 30-06.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a used model 7600 in 30-06 and love it. It is accurate and reliable (put 100 rounds thru it during one trip to the range). Gun was filthy, but no problems with functioning.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I like the Model Six that was only made for five years. It was an embellished version of the 7600 with somewhat nicer wood (not gorgeous), higher gloss bluing, Monte Carlo stock, uniquely shaped forend, gloss wood finish, cut checkering and the head of the cartridge for which the rifle was chambered embedded in the bottom of the receiver. They were only made in five calibers - .30-06 (super common), .308 (real common), .270 (common), .243 (hard to find) and 6mm (only 200 or 300 were made). I bought a like-new .243 on GunBroker about seven years ago for $450 - today, with more people realizing how comparatively few Model Sixes exist, they're bringing higher amounts. I know a man who has a NIB 6mm and has turned down $1,200 for it.

Ed

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have 3 760's a 270 bdl i bought new in 71,30-06 older one bought for $15.oo in 60's and 7610 in 223 never shot yet.I believe the older rifles are better quality than the recent ones.My 270 is very accurate. I bought my son a used 7400 270 a few years ago it is poor quality it would go if i had any say.Most of remingtons seem to be hit and miss on quality my 870 i bought the same day as the 270 has very poor finish on the stock and the 788 308 i got new was junk Rem. fixed it twice and returned my money at the third breakdown.I still might buy old Rems but nothing very recent.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Killed my first buck with a 760 in 30-06. Great rifle. It has taken many deer for my family. I've hunted mule deer in WA and whitetail in PA with it, and its never let me down. Never remember needing a quick follow up shot. Highly recommended rifle. I shoot factory ammo in it, reloads did not seem to fit, even with a full length resizer. Federal classics in 150gr are very accurate.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have two 760's. One in 30-06 that was built in early 50's ( according to serial # search) and the other in .243 Win.
The 30-06 is the one I shoot and it has been a great one. Many a Whitetail and coyote has been taken with ith it. The farthest shot being 472 yards and a nice buck was on the ground. Laser range finder and 2 witnesses.
My older son shoots the .243 and along with the ones I took with it he has added a few more.

These are 2 rifles that will never be sold, traded or retired

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Killed my first buck with a 760 in 30-06. Great rifle. It has taken many deer for my family. I've hunted mule deer in WA and whitetail in PA with it, and its never let me down. Never remember needing a quick follow up shot. Highly recommended rifle. I shoot factory ammo in it, reloads did not seem to fit, even with a full length resizer. Federal classics in 150gr are very accurate.
Most pumps and autoloaders require the use of small-base resizing dies.

Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts