Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a remington 3200 and the beads do not figure eight, I see thr rib in between. I tried shooting some targets not hitting very many. Took it to shoot a patern and found all but a few pellets hit above the center but a really even pattern. That was the result with both barrels. Now my question. Will it help me to put a higher rib and add an adjustable comb? Any help would be appreciated. I really like the gun and would hate to think I just blew a bunch of money.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 3200. Sounds like you're shooting pretty high, but that's not a bad thing. An adjustable comb will only help if you lower it more than it is now. I definitely wouldn't do anything with the rib. is it 30" IM/F?
How much have you shot it? Don't do anything just yet, give the gun a chance, you will find the sweet spot. You may have to float the target more than you are doing now.
You're going to like the 3200 when you get it dialed in ~ Mich

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have shot it about 500 doubles targets and have to shoot way under the second bird. Hard to get used to and doesnt seem natural. I shoot a single barrel for singles and handicap that I just float the target and am afraid if I dont ghae both guns shooting with the same poi my scores will drop in one or both. The barrels on this 3200 are top barrel imp mod on top and light full on bottom.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Lower the comb so you do not see any rib between the beads. Also you can raise the front sight,
which will lower the POI. HMB

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
To correct your current issue, you need to lower the comb so that you don't see the space between the beads. You can install an adjustable comb, but you have to make sure it is undercut, so you can lower it enough. You need to check with a competent comb guy to make sure there is enough wood in the stock to accomplish this. You could also shave some wood off the top of the comb. If it was my gun, I would go with the adjustable comb route, as I think that in a few years, you may want the gun to shoot higher.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have shot it about 500 doubles targets and have to shoot way under the second bird. Hard to get used to and doesnt seem natural. I shoot a single barrel for singles and handicap that I just float the target and am afraid if I dont ghae both guns shooting with the same poi my scores will drop in one or both. The barrels on this 3200 are top barrel imp mod on top and light full on bottom.
We are just talk'n trap here, and I don't claim to be an expert. Your top is IM and bottom is F? sounds odd to me. So you are shooting the top barrel first in doubles?
It my be posible to to change the barrel hanger, Keep the top shooting high for the first bird and have the poi lower for the second.

Have you shot any singles, letting the bird get out there a ways, to see if you really are shooting that high or maybe you are just coming out of the gun on the second shot.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Install a removeable add a rib. There are several companies that make them. It will solve your problem without ruining your stock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You all for the replies. The barrel is marked full and IM so obviously someone honed the chokes out of the barrels. It has 30 inch barrels on it. It has a monte carlo buttstock. I used a pop guage to mic. them and the top barrel is .7060 and the bottom is .7015 . I looked on the web and the information I found showed .7060 as imp. mod and . 7015 as light full. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
In order to tell what the choke is you need two measurements for each barrel. You need to
subtract the choke diameter from the barrel diameter to determine the amount of
constriction. The amount of constriction is the choke. For example, .030 = full,
.020 = modified, and .010 = improved cylinder. HMB

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Barrels reversed? I'd have to see that and measure them with a bore gauge. But, anything it possible, some odd combinations came out of the Remington shops.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Add a rib.
I just removed a few ribs from my Remington 1100's. One is a standard tapered rib and the other was a custom height straight rib.

They are poly choke ribs. The removal was done by Poly choke.
Since these ribs are placed on with adhesives, they can be removed. And they don't move either.....they get put on and stay on.
No damage to the gun.
Cutting the comb is forever and reduces and limits it's resale value.....something to think about.

If interested, I can send dimensions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts