Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys... will try to keep short.

I ve got 3000 of these wads in perfect shape that an older gentlemen had. They re still flexible and reloadable.

The catch: these wads were designed for Rem All American hulls and I only got my hands on 200 of those. The internal height is right at .225" taller than a current STS or GC hull; thus the wads are very short. About like an RP12 with a small shot cup. These wads hold 1 oz of shot in the shotcup and 1 1/8 oz will stack about 1-2 rows on top of cup.

Ideas on how a guy could utilize these short of finding a stash of All American hulls? Are there current production hulls out there with a much higher base in them that could be obtained??

Hate to see these wads go to waste.
Thx

Old guy also had a bunch of Activ hulls that are in good condition. I won't mess with those but if anyone wants them you pay the freight and they re all yours!!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I had a large number of the red AA wads (very short similar to the ones you have). I also had some old 3/8 inch fiber 20ga and 16ga wads that had been sitting around for many years. I inserted one of those wads inside of the shot cup and loaded them like normal wads. They shot fine from the 16yd line. One way of getting rid of them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nebs, good idea! Thx

Frostyman. I ve tried thinking of all the approaches but with the short wad length AND a short cup I d have to shoot a 1/2 oz 410 load in my twelve and use enough slow burn powder for crimp height that they d be flying 1500 fps ... lol

I even gave thought to an additional spacer between the powder and wad but not thinking that d be a good approach. When you start with spacers, etc etc you find it d be cheaper to just buy more modern wads!

I think getting as many loads as possible out of the old All American hulls and/or finding more or a newer high integral basewad hull as Nebs suggested might be the best solutions.

Anyone have any light shot, low velocity cream puff loads that would be easy on the hull plastic but still be adequate for 16 yd shooting they d like to share?? I shot a couple of the wads and hulls with a 1 1/8 oz 22.5 gr unique receipe and they functioned good. It was a full case with a high crimp... maybe something with 1 oz and a faster burning bulky powder??

Thx guys, feel like a mad scientist on this puzzle!

·
Registered
16,717 Posts
Used those wads with 32 gr of 7625 for a killer hunting load. Have to put it in a Federal hull for acceptable pressure.

HM

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had a large number of the red AA wads (very short similar to the ones you have). I also had some old 3/8 inch fiber 20ga and 16ga wads that had been sitting around for many years. I inserted one of those wads inside of the shot cup and loaded them like normal wads. They shot fine from the 16yd line. One way of getting rid of them.
If I am remembering correctly, the Red Winchester wad was my 1 1/2 ounce load. Great duck hunting wad before steel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, just the Rem part number. Says for plastic shotshells.

Those All American Rem hulls were late 60 s maybe into 70 s before phasing out.

Short wad height not problem in itself, it's the combination of that and the small shotcup. Guess a guy could load them with 1 3/8 oz or so loads and just have a good portion of shot above cup... probably throw a fairly open hunting pattern. Only problem is 3000 1 3/8 + oz hunting loads.... not that many T - Rex left to hunt! :)

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
I can still go to the club and do the real practice but if that happens to come to an end it will be gun mounts as many as possible.
Nope, just the Rem part number. Says for plastic shotshells.

Those All American Rem hulls were late 60 s maybe into 70 s before phasing out.

Short wad height not problem in itself, it's the combination of that and the small shotcup. Guess a guy could load them with 1 3/8 oz or so loads and just have a good portion of shot above cup... probably throw a fairly open hunting pattern. Only problem is 3000 1 3/8 + oz hunting loads.... not that many T - Rex left to hunt! :)
All American was replaced by RXP in about 72'.

Those Remington wads will also work on paper Super Target and Xpert paper hulls to.

Don't discount their effectiveness in a hunting load containing additional shot. Several of the better Annie shooters I've known used the AA12R which is not that much different with 1.25iz and 1 3)8oz loads.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ajax, cause I hit post inadvertently again. Nice way of saying I screwed up! :) Don't know how to delete it or I would.

ganger , in researching internet more and the #23694 wad I found where some guys are referring to it as RPA12 wad.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Ok, I did give you some information on the other thread.
I'm using the same wads in some old Winchester paper cases.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pheasantmaster, thanks for the add l detail. Your dates seem to fit right in with general research I ve done trying to find a solution.

Any idea where a guy could get the paper Super Target or Expert paper hulls in good condition to utilize these wads with? Are those paper hulls still being produced?

Thx

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The Winchester paper cases haven't been made in a long time.
I have some that I have been keeping together by ironing and waxing.
I use them in old timers shoots.

The Winchester paper cases are hard to load also. If they are done on a loader that has a primer ram, like mec.
The ram pushes the paper base wad on the inside over the primer hole and you can have misfires.
I have a PW set up for them. It holds the case rim and pushes the primer in.
Also after they are shot a couple of times, you have to watch for the base to come completely out. You have to check your barrel after each and every shot.

As I said,
you should be able to trade some of those wads to the game shooters for wads you could use.

Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Colonel klink, miked the inside diameter of the Primer hole and it was .236 whereas a Rem HC was .241 so about .005 smaller just as you thought!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Frank,

I know a guy in my neck of the woods that recently had about 200 of them, but misplaced them in a MFRB. :147::147:

I knew about the primer thing, but figured the guy I sent them to prolly had that end of the issue covered. Not gonna say we never did it as a kid when we loaded these back in the 60's and early 70's, but I think we forced a few 97 primers in these hulls without a kaboom.

P.S. I also know a guy that still has some 57 primers too.:088::088:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts