Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Keystone Shooter
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this Remington Scoremaster 22 caliber bolt action rifle. It was manufactured in 1949. I bought it off an old guy for $15 back in the late 60’s. I was looking for a 22 to hunt squirrels with. I’ve used it for that all these years. It’s an incredibly accurate rifle. Since I’ve been stuck in the house all these weeks I decided to try my luck on refinishing a stock. It was all scratched up and had one little ding on it. It was a plain stock with no checkering. Thought it would be ideal for my first try on stock refinishing. Watched a couple of videos on line, and took the best from several and tried it on this stock. Stripped the old finish off and began sanding. Sanded out the scratches and even the ding. It wasn’t too bad. Got it looking pretty good then used a diluted mixture of Minwax Tung Oil finish and mineral spirits. Applied two coats, buffing it out after each coat with 0000 steel wool. Then applied two full strength coats of the Minwax Tung Oil finish on by hand rubbing it in with my fingers. Again buffing it out with the 0000 steel wool between the coats. The last coat I let it dry for a week. Wiped it down with a cloth and applied two coats of Johnson’s Paste wax by hand and buffed it out with a clean dry cotton towel. It came out better than I expected.
What do you think for my first time?
Chief

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
The old 5-teens are known for their accuacy.
I have a 511p Scoremaster I rescued from basement and did a reblue and stock refinish.
With the ammo it likes it will shoot.

Nice work.
Now is a good time to strech its legs, took mine out few weeks ago still performs.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Nice job chief..I love those old .22s..have two rem single shots 5 series & two mossberg #46s..none have been refinished yet..all great shooters

·
Keystone Shooter
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This 511 came with a six shot detachable magazine. You can still get them, and the optional 10 shot magazine. It will will drive tacks off of sand bags on the bench at 25 yards. It shoots 22 short, long and long rifle.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have one 510, 2 511's and one 514. All very good shooters, all original and from a manufacturer back in the day when the rifles were all steel and walnut. The 511's were the first guns that my 2 sons received and were used guns and we had a "annual 5 shot squirrel hunt" when they were young. The hunt was fashioned off the "1 shot antelope hunt" that one of the major hunting magazines had back in the day for the outdoor writers. Our squirrel hunt allowed for any type of .22 cartridge but only 5 rounds, points for head shots, fewer points for body shots, points for number of squirrels taken within the prescribed time limit. The purpose was to try to make real hunters out of my sons not just shooters.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It looks like it came out very nice. It’s amazing what having lots of time on your hands will produce.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like it came out very nice. It’s amazing what having lots of time on your hands will produce.
Ya Ken you’re right. This was my first time trying to refinish a stock. I’m not a wood worker. Nearly flunked wood shop, in Jr High. But it did come out amazingly nice.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nice Job Chief. Now order up some Dem Bart checkering tools and next winter find a nice piece of hardwood and cut some practice simple designs. When you are happy lay out some simple designs on the rifle stock and go for it. Don't rush and you will be pleased that you have been able to teach yourself a new hobby to do in the winter.
Those old rifles are great, many years ago I purchased one from the lady that lived across the street from me. She wanted $10 for it with the original box of bullets her dad bought new with the rifle in around 1949 or 50 when he arrived from Germany. I think there were only 7 missing from the box of 50. I kept it for several years and ended up selling to to workmate so he could teach his wife to shoot.
Devonian.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The older 500 series of Remington 22 bolt guns are not only good shooters and were manufactured in many variations. My all time favorite is the model 513S Sporter. Like them so much I have three in my collection. Pictured is a 513S with a Lyman Alaskan scope with Stith drill less scope mounts. Built in 1949. A very hard combo to find today.

DSCN1947.JPG DSCN1948.JPG DSCN1949.JPG DSCN1951.JPG DSCN1952.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Chief,
Very nice work. If you don't mind me asking what did you use to strip the stock.

I have my Dads old tube fed .22 and would love to clean it up similarity for my kids.

Reactions: Township Chief

·
Keystone Shooter
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chief,
Very nice work. If you don't mind me asking what did you use to strip the stock.

I have my Dads old tube fed .22 and would love to clean it up similarity for my kids.
Striypeeze by Savogran is the stripper I used. Put it on with a small throw away 2” paint brush. It’s not cheap. $14.49 a can.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts