Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am new to this forum and I have posted a few times. I have a quick question. For Trap I usually shot a Remington 1100 but found a good deal on a Remington 1100 Competition which I would use for Trap only. What are some thoughts everyone has on the two guns when comparing them. What are some Pros and Cons and has anyone switched from the Remington 1100 and gone to the Remington 1100 Competition and stuck with the competition model?

Thanks for your time and reading my post.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I shoot a trap grade 1100 but have a field 1100, skeet 1100, and deer slug gun 1100. You don't say whether the 1100 you were shooting is a trap grade or standard. Big difference. The synthetic competition is different than the trap grade. Over bored target barrel where my trap grade has standard bore target barrel. Adjustable butt stock with recoil reducing butt pad. Different finish. Comes with Briley chokes instead of Rem chokes. Guess you would have to shoot it to see if you like it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ DandyRandy: I have the Remington 1100 Trap.

Have you guys ever visited the following Website: www.grabagun.com

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Too bad a shooter I know didn't know about grabagun he would have saved $200.00 + tax

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the prices were pretty decent.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have gone from a 1100 trap to a competition model and never looked back. The comp is slightly heavier but the adjustability and reduced recoil is worth a few extra dollars.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I really like my Remington 1100 Classic Trap. I've held the 1100 Competition Synthetic and it is barrel heavy for me, it would take some getting used to, but it would likely smooth the swing.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is my POI at 16 yards. 3 rounds. Full choke

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Bow hunter, that pattern is looking good.
Maybe a little flat for trap.
With the competition, you can move it up with the adj comb, if needed.
Center the bird and watch the smoke.
Good luck.
George

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
BowHunter,
I really like the Comp model I own for trap. But it is rarely a gun I get to use now. Im mostly shooting the standard 1100 action with either a fixed full choke barrel or a fixed mod on occasion,,,,,,,,, because I can't get the Comp back from my Daughter!!!!!! She loves it and shoots it whenever the trap house is open.
This varies from how I made my son learn with one gun for all games and targets. But she likes its recoil reduction and has the rising pattern where she wants it, and Im not complaining. But IMO the Comp pattern is too high for skeet and she shoots an earlier Skeet grade model 1100 for those targets and her sporting clays.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Wasn't there a recent discussion about analyzing high grade guns, custom chokes, and a factory Remington 1100 trap barrel in which the 1100 patterns were found to be as good as, if not better than, the high dollar barrels and chokes. Luckily, I have some factory 1100 trap barrels. Better dig them out and pattern them; save me from buying a new Competition. Regards, Ed

·
Sky Buster
3,963 Posts
Wasn't there a recent discussion about analyzing high grade guns, custom chokes, and a factory Remington 1100 trap barrel in which the 1100 patterns were found to be as good as, if not better than, the high dollar barrels and chokes. Luckily, I have some factory 1100 trap barrels. Better dig them out and pattern them; save me from buying a new Competition. Regards, Ed
I had a 1100 Competition and sold it. It felt like a log. I now have a
1100 Classic Trap and really enjoy it. Lighter and quicker to the target.
Look's better to. Great wood!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yes there was by Tim99 on July 24, 2016. He was testing four different shotguns two Krieghoffs, one with a Wilkinson tuned barrel and one with a factory barrel, one Zoli, and one Remington 1100 shotgun with a 30" barrel full choke. He said the 1100 tested as good or better than the others.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
The Competition was originally designed as a high end sporting clays auto to compete with the Beretta 391 Teknys and the older Browning Gold Golden Clays. It came with beautiful figured wood and the coated receiver and internal parts. Then, unable to stave off corporate stupidity, the marketing geniuses decided it had to have a 30 inch barrel like it's competitors, so they came out with the
Probore barrel that made the gun balance like the proverbial pig-on-a-stick. A total failure as a sporting clays gun, it found a niche as a trap gun with the heavier Jack West/Bumpbuster stock.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had an 1100 competition synthetic, shot it on & off for 8 months. Couldn't get used to it & it really didn't fit me properly. My father shoots an 1100 classic trap, & really enjoys it. He gets pretty good hits & is happy with his scores. He uses briley black spectrum extended chokes in his gun.
I bought an 870 classic trap last April & have been shooting it ever since. Once I bought barrel weights & extended chokes for it I'll never look back. On a good day (score-wise) I can certainly keep up with the Shooters who choose to shoot higher dollar guns for trap. If it fits the shooter, it's a good gun. I'd never consider an 1100 comp. synthetic again now that I shoot my 870. If you can, try before you buy.. It might fit you perfect. Good luck.

-Ithaca

1 - 20 of 56 Posts