Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a Remington 1100 Trap. It is the bicentennial receiver and trap stock, but the barrel is not the normal 30” Trap barrel that came with the gun, its a pretty unique item. Although I have several older 1100 trap barrels, the price was right so I took the barrel in the deal. Wondering if anyone knows the history. It is factory Remington and allegedly has not been altered.... Its a 28” remchoke with the stepped rib. BUT... it has some sort of unique taper before the choke tube. Using a cylinder choke tube ... it throws a pattern similar to a full choke!! I haven’t got around to measuring the bore just yet. Anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
That sounds like a jug choked barrel. As it was explained to me, the wad and shot are choked down in the tapered section, then expand in the choke and leave the barrel with the shot having settled into a compact group. This is why the more open choke patterns tightly.
Many years ago, a friend did some work on 870s for our local police department, in which he tried various methods to get a tight pattern out of the short barreled 870s carried in the cars. The best results came out of just such a jug choked barrel, giving an 8" pattern at 30 yards with #4 Buck, and a choke of about improved cylinder. They never did anything with his testing results, as it was cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
It sounds like one of the Rem Trap barrels that came with 3 specific choke tubes that were marked for 16's, mid yardage, and long yardage.

Pat

·
Registered
448 Posts
It sounds like one of the Rem Trap barrels that came with 3 specific choke tubes that were marked for 16's, mid yardage, and long yardage.
Yeah, what Pat said.
I believe it's simply one of Remington's Rem-choked Trap barrels that were overbored until just prior to the choke-tube area, at which point the bore transitioned down to normal bore diameter before the Rem-choke tube. [Overbored Trap barrels on the Remington 870 Trap used the same concept]. IIRC, the choke tubes were marked "Trap Full", "Trap Extra Full", and "Trap Super Full". These barrels essentially had about .018 constriction "built-in" because of the transition. So even with a Cylinder choke tube installed, you've still got about .018 constriction.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But a 28”?? I don’t believe they ever made a 28” TRAP barrel. Did they make such an animal for their sporting models as well?

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
The overbored trap barrels wee also for the 1187, not the 1100. I don't remember them ever being offered in 28" either.

Some pics would likely be helpful.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have a 28" Remington trap barrel made only for a few years in the late 90s. They were overbored with a built in choke before the screw in choke. They also had a little taller step rib. The 3 furnished chokes were standard Remchokes labeled differently. If you use standard Remchokes, a cyl. tube should give you a full choke pattern, a mod. tube should give you an extra-full pattern, and a full tube should give you a supper-full pattern. some say the overbored barrels shot a little softer but I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had an 11-87 with a barrel as you describe. It was marked "target 2 3/4 only" and had a factory knockdown pin to drop the shells at your feet. I don't know if they ever produced 1100 target barrels. The 11-87 barrel MAY fit an 1100 but that I don't know. If you post some pictures you will likely get more information.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, here are a few pictures. Tech Writer Jeff kindly miced this thing today. Bore was .745 then tapered down by 18 points of constriction before the choke tube, exactly as he noted. The odd thing to me was that it’s a 28” barrel and I was unaware that they had made these in 28”, but NWI Hoosier cleared that up. Thank you all for the assistance.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
So, here are a few pictures. Tech Writer Jeff kindly miced this thing today. Bore was .745 then tapered down by 18 points of constriction before the choke tube, exactly as he noted. The odd thing to me was that it’s a 28” barrel and I was unaware that they had made these in 28”, but NWI Hoosier cleared that up. Thank you all for the assistance.
So is it an 1100 barrel or an 1187 barrel?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Those great pictures of a neat barrel. The only other pic that I would like to see is the gas block, other than needing the 11-87 forearm to work the only meaningful difference between an 1100 and 11-87

Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts