Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Rem 1100 is now cycling 7/8 oz loads. Adding 1 more grain of Alliant E3 resolved the issue. To those who suggested increasing the powder charge you were right. I also tried a few 1 1/8 oz reloads with Claydot and they really kick out f the action.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

SM

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I took the main spring out of the stock and replaced it with a
spring that I had shortened about 3 or 4 rings. HMB

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would think it has to do with the 7/8oz. loads. I don't think that I have ever seen an 1100 or 11-87 reliably cycle shells that light. I've seen a few that had problems with 1oz loads. Best of luck.

Derek

·
Registered
676 Posts
What is your load (powder & how much) ? Is it a "light " load ? I have 2 1100 12's (a skeet and a sporting)--- they both cycle 7/8 100% of the time with no spring or port modifications.
regards
Bob

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is your load (powder & how much) ? Is it a "light " load ? I have 2 1100 12's (a skeet and a sporting)--- they both cycle 7/8 100% of the time with no spring or port modifications.
regards
Bob

I am loading 16.0 grains of Alliant E3 powder, Rem TGT12 wad. I rechecked my Horandy 366 powder drops and the drop is spot on 16.0 grains.

SM

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I would think it has to do with the 7/8oz. loads. I don't think that I have ever seen an 1100 or 11-87 reliably cycle shells that light. I've seen a few that had problems with 1oz loads. Best of luck.

Derek
I concur,

Just make sure you don't do mods you can not turn back from,, Seen too many good barrels ruined with a drill.

DGH

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had the same problem with a ithaca model 51, cut a very small amount of main action spring off, only 1 ring, problem solved for me.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
There is a lot of upside room in your recipe. I think your load is a bit weak. I would try 17 grains of E3. I run 3/4 oz loads in my 1100 without issues, but they are running 1300 fps, using Titewad.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not surprising. The 12 gauge 1100's were never designed to shoot loads that light.

My 1100 trap with the trap barrel installed is cycling the 7/8 oz loads, it's the 11/87 barrel that is not functioning with the 7/8 loads. that's why I am scratching my head!!

When I shot the Winchester Super-X's the 7/8 loads were a non-issue.

SM

·
Registered
533 Posts
The only way I could get my 1100 CT to reliably cycle 7/8 loads was to go to an old style two piece piston/seal.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
The two types of barrels are officially not interchangeable. They do work most of the time, except when you are playing on the edge. You are trying to shoot a weak load through a barrel that wasn't designed to fit that gun.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
What breaks targets lead shoot more and it will be fixed. I have shot 1oz the last year or two and I have not had any big runs. I going to all 1 1/8oz next year for ATA events.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts