Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back, my cousin gave me a late 1970's era Remington 1100 skeet. This was before the screw in choke barrels.

I have no way of measuring the choke, does anyone have an idea what amount of choke these barrels have?? I have been thinking about using it for some quail hunting as something different from my normal 20 & 28 gauge guns.

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Excellent set up for quail, I have a similar M1100 skeet model that I have used on many great quail hunts. Stoke it up with 2 3/4 dram #8 target loads and you have a winner. Also a great combo for cottontails in the thick stuff.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is the initial restriction on an 1100 skeet barrel before the reverse taper starts. Is there any?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the 1100 out today with a friend and his new French Brittany. I lowered the stock down approx. 1/4 inch as it was shooting 6 to 7 inch high at 20 yards. When my dogs found the quail I shot one and the bird just folded. I still need to double check the POI on the pattern plate but I think it's pretty close.

Boy those 12 guage 1100's are heavy, even with a 26 inch barrel. All of my bird guns weigh right around 6 lbs. and they being 20 or 28 guage guns are much slimmer. I am thinking that this gun is like going to the gym and lifting weights. It will be so much easier with the lighter guns after my work outs with this 12 guage.

The friend's dog had never been in the field hunting before, so I had him slip on one of my Garmin 220 GPS collars onto the dogs neck. Good thing we did as his dog had no problem getting out there. At 365 yards and stopped, he didn't come back when I tried to whistle him back. My friend then took the transmitter and went to find his dog, worked great, they soon returned. The dog stayed within 150 yards thereafter, both dog and friend had a great time. He is ordering a GPS system soon.

Choke seems OK. My Beretta and Briley chokes are what I use on the smaller guage guns. I know that in a 12 or 20 guage gun my Briley skeet chokes are around .005, I usually hunt with improved cylinder chokes in my guns.

Tom Strunk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts