Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
If you don't have a trigger to put in it at least take it out and clean it real well with brake kleen, Then refer to

Good luck,

DGH

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Are you saying that you put one shell in an open chamber and the bolt slams shut? Just dropping in a shell doesn't contact any part that would close the bolt. You must be hitting something with your hand.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Most likely the carrier latch is broken. When one of the legs is broken, it dosen't engage the carrier properly, allowing the bolt not to lock open or not lock secure enough.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Cleaning the the trigger group is important, my concern with Brake Clean is that it can leave a residue. Gun scrubber might be a better choice, followed by a quality oil.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I'd try soaking the dirty parts in Kerosene!!! This will clean the parts well, and also leave a oily residue behind. This residue works like a oil naturally and is recommended by many a gunsmith. Use compressed air to Blow off any unwanted liquid and dirt particles, repeat the soaking and blowing as needed. Be careful not to use to much air pressure. You do not want to blow out any springs or small parts. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I would not use Kerosene. It is flammable an should not be used on a firearm. Gun scrubber is about as good as you are going to get to really clean the assembly. You need to lubricate it afterwards as Gun scrubber will remove all the oil on the item you clean with it. There are other chemicals you could use to clean but you have to be careful not to damage the metal bluing or stock finish when using them. My opinion. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
18,693 Posts
I would not use Kerosene. It is flammable an should not be used on a firearm. Gun scrubber is about as good as you are going to get to really clean the assembly. You need to lubricate it afterwards as Gun scrubber will remove all the oil on the item you clean with it. There are other chemicals you could use to clean but you have to be careful not to damage the metal bluing or stock finish when using them. My opinion. Regards, Bob
Look at the ingredients in Hoppes #9. Guess what the major ingredient is. YEP, you guessed correctly. KEROSENE

Reactions: mfoz

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What GunDr said. I have four 1100's. The carrier latch could be worn, bent, broken, or it is so dirty that it won't engage/disengage properly. Take it apart and clean it thoroughly and try it. If it still releases by itself then replace the carrier latch. Cheap part that can probably be gotten cheaply from Ebay or Numerich. I believe the 1100 trigger/bolt assembly has something like 60 moving parts. The trigger group should be pulled and cleaned thoroughly as often as needed depending on how many rounds are fired through it. Most all gun cleaning and lubricant products are petroleum based and flammable. In the Army we cleaned fifty cals and M60's with diesel fuel. Just make sure you wipe the parts down well and lube. Use a light lube that will attract the least residue.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Look at the ingredients in Hoppes #9. Guess what the major ingredient is. YEP, you guessed correctly. KEROSENE
flashmax, you cannot get Hoppes #9 to burn, I just tried it. Whatever is combined in their formula prevents this from happening. You can soak your firearm in kerosene if you want, I just do not recommend anyone cleaning a firearm with anything flammable. Under the right circumstances you could damage your firearm. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Smithy47 is correct that a lot of cleaning solutions can damage the finish on wood, plastics, or some metal finishes. Even using too much oil on the receiver where it meets the butt stock can turn the wood dark. I once mistakenly used Kroil on a blued rifle. I grabbed the wrong container, squirted it on a rag, and wiped it down. It turned the bluing a few shades lighter. Boy did I feel dumb.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Clean trigger group with hot tap water & a toothbrush. Allow to dry. Finis.
Use Dawn soap also water as hot as your hands can stand. Shake dry, wipe dry, air dry 30 minutes, lube Rem Oil.
I have been doing this for close to 35 plus years.
If that does not help look at Carrier Latch bent or broken as mention above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts