Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls are starting to get into deer hunting. My oldest has a Remington 1100 12ga trap that she likes. Both girls are somewhat recoil sensitive. We have a couple rifled barreled 20ga 870's in the family and after sighting them in, neither want to get behind them.

I am looking at a cantilever barrel for the 12ga Rem 1100. Any experience on how the recoil and accuracy are on these?

Doug

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
12 ga slugs are loaded to widely different speeds. The really fast ones kick like heck even in an auto and are punishing in a pump. Same in the 20.
Slug weight and speed are going to be critical for you to get the recoil down.
Bench shooting is also a tough way to test a new shooters tolerance for recoil. Better to shoot standing or chair sitting if you tree stand hunt. You get it set with the sights on the bench. Then let them train as they hunt on 12 inch paper plates at the distance you shoot. I have looked at hand loading to get something my daughter could use but still have not finished that project using info from Balistic Products.
Ideal would be a 20 ga gas gun with a slower lighter slug. Keep the shots close.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have a hastings 20 gauge barrel on my 1100 , 3 inch groups at 100 yards with rem copper solids. recoil not to bad , no way would I shoot a 12 gauge pump !

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a hastings 20 gauge barrel on my 1100 , 3 inch groups at 100 yards with rem copper solids. recoil not to bad , no way would I shoot a 12 gauge pump !
I've always wondered this question and since you say you have a hastings barrel why do they say not to shoot Remington ammo out of a hastings? do you know?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I like the 1100 with the cantilever barrel in the 12. I would recommend the basic one ounce slugs for less recoil .
If they can punch wholes in a paper plate offhand from 50 to 75 yards without pain or discomfort
that should be tell you if they can handle the 1100.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I shoot a Remington 1100 12G with a 22" smoothbore slug barrel. It has a Weaver K2.5 scope on it. With Remington standard 1 ounce sluggers it will shoot a hand size group at 100 yards all day.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I put a Rem cantelever slug barrel on my dads 1968 model 1100/ grand slam 1-5 scope/ Fed. 2-3/4" Barnes expanders.Took but 6 shots to sight in @ 100 yds. and I was glad I didn't have to shoot any more. Accuracy with that barrel, scope and slug combo: excellent. Affect on deer: terminal affect from lung shot on large buck @ 80 yds. was better than excellent as the deer never took another step. 100 % slug retention of the all copper Hollow Point bullet and mushroomed perfectly, finding it just under the hide on opposite side from the side the shot was taken.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Doug,
I have an 11-87 12 ga, with the cantilever bbl, and synthetic, if you would like to try it out and it would give you a indication of recoil. I use the Rem. copper solids with it and easily put a box of shells back in the box @ 100yds. Could meet you at UCOA Thurs, if you want
Dave B

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doug,
I have an 11-87 12 ga, with the cantilever bbl, and synthetic, if you would like to try it out and it would give you a indication of recoil. I use the Rem. copper solids with it and easily put a box of shells back in the box @ 100yds. Could meet you at UCOA Thurs, if you want
Dave B
Dave, that is a wonderful gesture. I think I am going to go ahead and buy a bbl as everyone seems to like it. Thanks again!
Doug

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
My girls are starting to get into deer hunting. My oldest has a Remington 1100 12ga trap that she likes. Both girls are somewhat recoil sensitive. We have a couple rifled barreled 20ga 870's in the family and after sighting them in, neither want to get behind them.

I am looking at a cantilever barrel for the 12ga Rem 1100. Any experience on how the recoil and accuracy are on these?

Doug
Just wondering, are you deer hunting in a shotgun only zone?

I hunt alot these days with a LT20 1100. Shooting slugs out of it is comfortable. I also have a slug barrel for an 1100 12 GA. I do not find the 12ga comfortable!

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I have an 1100 with a cantilevered fully rifled barrel. I also have a 303 Beretta with a cantilevered Hastings fully rifled barrel. All scoped with Leupolds. Choice of ammo speeds and weight in all determine how much felt recoil each has and the accuracy is outstanding!

Remember, adding a good quality scope adds weight to the formula helping reduce felt recoil also. I bought 2 of the Beretta 303s outfitted with Hastings barrels for both my sons with Leupolds for deer hunting in Ohio, a shotgun only deer hunting state. Either the Rem 1100 or Berettas set up are magic sticks for deer hunting!!

HAP

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wondering, are you deer hunting in a shotgun only zone?

I hunt alot these days with a LT20 1100. Shooting slugs out of it is comfortable. I also have a slug barrel for an 1100 12 GA. I do not find the 12ga comfortable!
Yes, we are in NW Ohio. Dad has a couple 1100 Lt20's. Do you have rifled deer barrels for the LT 20? I didn't find any Remington barrels for these. Hasting had an offering.

Doug

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Yes, we are in NW Ohio. Dad has a couple 1100 Lt20's. Do you have rifled deer barrels for the LT 20? I didn't find any Remington barrels for these. Hasting had an offering.

Doug
To my knowledge a rifled barrel was not made for this model. Atleast I've not found evidence of such.

One of the modified barrels I have will put five in a 3" cluster at 75yds using standard open sights. The slugs are Remington brand.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
LT 1100 20 ga. hastings bbl, junk 4X scope, "punkinball Federals, 3 inch groups at 50 yards.....5/8 of lead, 65 caliber hole =RD/RT (real dead, right there.......every time it goes POW.........merlyn

1 - 20 of 26 Posts