Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a very nice magnum 30in full choke. I am wanting to use it in league for doubles. Has anyone drilled the gas ports to make function 2 3/4 1150 fps loads?
I did shoot it for practice yesterday by loading a 1300 fps 7.5 and a 1 oz load.
I only dropped 4 but the recoil on the first as to much.
Jeff

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
Drilling the 2nd gas port is preferable to enlarging the one that's there (although I've done that before). Best to let a gunsmith with experience in making the conversion do it for you (using a jig, or a mill would be the best bet). Break off a drill bit and you're not in good shape. I'd rather pay someone to do it for me, and put the liability on them if something goes awry.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You also stand the chance that someday someone could fire some 3" shells in the drilled out barrel and damage a 2 3/4" 1100. Don't monkey with drilling the 3" barrel; there are many 2 3/4" barrels available and they will fit and function just fine on your 1100 magnum.

Ken Rucker

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I drilled a second hole, no big deal. Then I tapped it for a 6-48 plug screw, that you find on a rifle barrel. So when I want to shoot Magnum loads I put the plug screw in the new hole. HMB

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have an 1100 20 ga. Magnum gun that someone drilled a second gas port into. Whoever did it counterbored the new port and tapped threads into the counterbored portion of the port. Being hunting season the plug is locked in with Blue Loc-Tite now. Very professional job. Gander Mountain used to offer this service for about $65.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts