Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
i have a Remington 1100 classic trap i purchased new in November of last year, only difference i see in my trap barrel and a field barrel is the trap barrel had a mid bead and a knock down pin ribs look the same

·
Registered
188 Posts
Old but informative thread...not to hijack it..but an effort to glean some information for you knowledgeable guys that have links to it, I hope my questions are OK.

I'm in the process of changing from an o/u to something that handles recoil better. Last time I got my face bumped (holding too loose) I got 4 big floaters in my right eye that have not gone away.

From what I can tell, a pre 90's Remington 1100 would be a good candidate for mods like I would need to fit me.
I can't shoot a Monte Carlo stock...puts me way over the rib...and I don't want the gun to be longer than the equivalent of a 32" o/u. I guess that means a field stock and a 28" or so barrel?
I want to rig this thing up with a adjustable comb, and a additional recoil reducer that will allow left, right, up and down and lop adjustment...Gracoil or?
In other words I want to build it the "best" that it can be done with the best parts.."old or new" that can make this a "real" shooter. (Doubles capable too). All I know much about is over and under target guns....so this is new territory for me.
Has anyone else had to go this route? Do you have one for sale, or older barrels, flat comb stock, or anything that would be ideal for this effort?
Thanks...Stan
....or any better suggestions for a similar super light recoil trap gun.
It is relatively easy to achieve what you want in redesigning a Remington 1100 for your purposes.

Barrels:

Stepped ribbed barrels were available in target models with Bradley sights, knocked down pins and and .725, 727 and .728 bores. They came in modified, improved modified , and full chokes. Lengths were 28"+ 30" long.

Field Profile models (Trap) were available in 28", 30", 32" with Bradley sights, knock down pins, and bores of .727 to .731 with choke resrictions usually of . o38.

There were some fixed choke .745 30" barrels manufactured for the 1100 model and the 1187 in 1987 in Full choke. The model number for he 1187 was 9613.
This barrel was the predecessor to the Rem Choke. A fantastic patterning full choke barrel. (The holy grail of legendary Remington smoke poles.....
too much choke for the 16 yard line.)

Late model Classic Trap RemChoke models were available with .727/745 bores, Step Rib and field profile models

Stocks: Monte Carlo, Straight trap, Competition (870) Jack West adjustable, Field, and Sporting.

Basically you can take any Remington receiver and urn it into a Trap gun, clays gun, skeet gun, competition or field gun with a few inexpensive modifications, for less than $600.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
On the Classic trap with the knock down pin can you still do doubles?
yes, the pin only knocks the hull down, and I think forward a little, as it ejects to help keep from hitting shooter next to you with empty hulls

it does not interfere with cycling of the 2nd shell into the chamber

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I am not sure if this was mentioned before but the step rib barrels didn't come out until 1976. The field barrels stayed the same.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Does the Remington Synthetic Competition and the Remington Classic trap have the same barrels with the "nub/bump" for shell deflection??

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I had a chance to shoot the Remington 1100 Competition and really liked it!
30" .740 bore lengthened forcing cone, 5 extended Trubore Chokes, mid bead, cut comb, Bump Buster recoil stock,faux carbon fiber stock cover,Nickel receiver, Teflon coated internal nickle parts, and overall weight of 8 1/2 pounds.
It's a pretty nice package, looks good, and patterns nicely!
Lot of pros and the only negative is that it's barrel heavy!
Take a look at one!
Biff

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does the knock down pin work well enough for most other shooters in your squad or do most people still use a shell catcher to be more polite to the shooter to your right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a chance to shoot the Remington 1100 Competition and really liked it!
30" .740 bore lengthened forcing cone, 5 extended Trubore Chokes, mid bead, cut comb, Bump Buster recoil stock,faux carbon fiber stock cover,Nickel receiver, Teflon coated internal nickle parts, and overall weight of 8 1/2 pounds.
It's a pretty nice package, looks good, and patterns nicely!
Lot of pros and the only negative is that it's barrel heavy!
Take a look at one!
Biff
Pretty easy to add some weight to the stock to overcome this and the recoil is amazing compared to the o/u's. Built in recoil reduction!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Continuing with the slight thread drift (sorry), are the new 1100's comparable in quality to the older ones?

I'm wondering if I should start looking for a used model or buy a new one.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The new one balances different. The barrel is noticeably heavier. I have not heard one issue in regards to the action and I know 7 people that shoot them. A couple of them have had the barrel swapped out to an older trap barrel and these guns balance allot better.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I owned the 1100 Competition for about a week before selling it. For me, the pro bore barrel was too heave. Actually all 30” 1100’s are a little front heavy. I’m very sensitive to front heavy guns though. I have three 1100’s, two are Monte Carlo trap models. Of those two, one has the ramp type rib and the other has the step rib. Both have knock-down pins and both are fixed full that will smoke targets. The older 1100 guns have always been something I can just pick up and shoot. The pro bore just isn’t like that for me though. Great older thread here.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts