Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Where I see the difference is head position on stock. With my cheek with a Trap Step rib it does not take as much cheek pressure and allows a more heads up position.
I use both Trap Step rib 30 inch on my 11-87 for Singles with Monte Carlo Stock.
For Handicap I am shooting a 32 inch fixed choked field barrel with Straight Trap Stock and it does require a lot more cheek pressure to line up but I feel this is a good thing for Me.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It measures 56" end to end with the 34" barrel.
Dang...that's 4" shorter than my wife! Could you see her at the trap line with the mussel on a mussel pad waiting her turn!
Measures my 34" Perazzi and it 51-1/4"...
My recoiless measures 53-1/4" w/ 30" barrel.
Thanx
Mike

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
The Trap barrel has a higher rib than the field barrel. They are easy to identify, as the Trap will have a (step) in the rib. I have one that I'm not using if anyone needs one.
My experince is that there were far more flat ribbed trap barrels over the years than stepped barrels.....just urban rumor that flat ribs are all field barrels

·
Registered
188 Posts
........... I do prefer after market chokes for my 1100 target barrels. The Rem chokes can be kind of iffy for quality. There can be some real wide swings from what is stamped on the Rem choke to what the actual constriction is. I use a Carlson extended improved modified and a Briley extended full for trap shooting.
.......This has also been My experience. The Remington tubes quality is very iffy, Out of round bores etc, unpredictable patterns. I have had very good luck with the Carlson Extended Tubes. True bores, and great patterning.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I used to have one of those 34 inch 1100 trap barrels and wish I still had it. I sent it off to get choke tubes put in it, and they sent if back saying that it was an oversize barrel and they could not put tubes in it. It shot great. If you measured it, it had a bigger bore than the normal 1100 trap barrel. something like 742 or 743. They are actually fairly hard to find.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have 2 1100 LH trap guns, the second of which I just received today. Both barrels have the knock down pin. Both barrels are 2-3/4" fixed full choke. Both barrels are step rib, BUT on one of them, the rib is approx. 1/16" taller, the entire length of the barrel. 1100's are new to me, so I keep learning, but I did not know that Remington made different height trap step ribs.
Lucky to have two ---wore out one--Put the barrel on a mag frame-- Remington has not made a left hand 1100 for 30 years-- But high rib trap has a. 690.Extra full chock Field chokes are .700 --- Right hand shooter have know idea how good they have it. Have good shooting

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes, the knock down pin is so you don't hit your neighbor to the right while shooting doubles. You will not be very well liked if your empties keep hitting them.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had a wire catch wire installed By Larry Wehinger here in Wisc. --- can be removed for doubles-- Yet catches the shell on singles. Looks a lot better than the tape on catches --- Remember you only have so many bend over in a life --- It start showing up we you get old --

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Old but informative thread...not to hijack it..but an effort to glean some information for you knowledgeable guys that have links to it, I hope my questions are OK.

I'm in the process of changing from an o/u to something that handles recoil better. Last time I got my face bumped (holding too loose) I got 4 big floaters in my right eye that have not gone away.

From what I can tell, a pre 90's Remington 1100 would be a good candidate for mods like I would need to fit me.
I can't shoot a Monte Carlo stock...puts me way over the rib...and I don't want the gun to be longer than the equivalent of a 32" o/u. I guess that means a field stock and a 28" or so barrel?
I want to rig this thing up with a adjustable comb, and a additional recoil reducer that will allow left, right, up and down and lop adjustment...Gracoil or?
In other words I want to build it the "best" that it can be done with the best parts.."old or new" that can make this a "real" shooter. (Doubles capable too). All I know much about is over and under target guns....so this is new territory for me.
Has anyone else had to go this route? Do you have one for sale, or older barrels, flat comb stock, or anything that would be ideal for this effort?
Thanks...Stan
....or any better suggestions for a similar super light recoil trap gun.

·
Registered
904 Posts
With several million pre 90 guns out there It is a good candidate --My last one was a pre 90 goose gun{low round count } added a high rib barrel and a Jack West stock. The jack West stock only had recoil not length of pull -- But was several hundred less than the Graciol and comb job -- All depends on how much money you want to spend --1100's are a good one to pick just for all the parts you can pickup --Can be a cheap, fun rebuild project

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Yep..
It seems that the combinations are endless ...so I'm trying to narrow it down to some specifics for what it takes to build as soft a shooter as is humanly possible.
The money isn't really the main focus...any 1100 is much cheaper that most trap guns.
I'm more concerned about the results...I really hate to give up shooting a 12 gauge all together. You can only shoot so much .410 and 28 gauge..lol.
Thanks...Stan

·
Registered
392 Posts
Adding to an old thread. There is/was a YouTube video of a Remington film made in the late '60s. One scene showed a worker holding a target barrel to a "straight edge" or a fixture with the correct contour. Then he would use a special press to bend the barrel so it precisely fit the contour. It was mentioned that only their target barrels received this treatment. These were the older fixed choke barrels. The worker had a Dupont logo on the back of his uniform. So at least with the older barrels there is a difference between trap and field barrels.
Mark

21 - 40 of 58 Posts