Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington 1100 field gun that has a 30" / 2-3/4", raised rib.
Can anyone tell me the difference between this barrel and the 30" barrel on the Remington trap guns?

thanx
mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Higher rib and Bradley white front plastic target sight. Field barrels are standard bore (.727). 1100 target barrels can come in standard light contour target or over bored target. You can get early fixed choke 1100 target barrels in modified and full over bored (.740).

My very first dedicated trap gun was a Remington 1100 T with a .740 super tight full fixed choke barrel. It reduced targets to drifting ink spots. There was no wounding a target with that gun.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
No. I have a field barrel with rem chokes on a standard 1100. The light contour target and pro bore target barrels come with screw in chokes. I have both. I do prefer after market chokes for my 1100 target barrels. The Rem chokes can be kind of iffy for quality. There can be some real wide swings from what is stamped on the Rem choke to what the actual constriction is. I use a Carlson extended improved modified and a Briley extended full for trap shooting.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know about the deflector. Do any of you guy's use your 1100 for doubles?...and do well?
mike

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Good to know about the deflector. Do any of you guy's use your 1100 for doubles?...and do well?
mike
A friend of mine Dennis Whitlock does, and he shoots doubles pretty doggone well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have 2 1100 LH trap guns, the second of which I just received today. Both barrels have the knock down pin. Both barrels are 2-3/4" fixed full choke. Both barrels are step rib, BUT on one of them, the rib is approx. 1/16" taller, the entire length of the barrel. 1100's are new to me, so I keep learning, but I did not know that Remington made different height trap step ribs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I should mention that both of my barrels have the mid bead and white Bradley front site. In addition to what I already mentioned. Thanks, acorange.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thought that on early 1100T's [and 870's] that the only diff. was the mid bead and white Bradley front site.
The very early trap barrels (starting late 60's) did have standard bores and a low field type raised rib but did have target sights. Early 80's barrels had a standard bore, step rib, and target beads. The overbored .740 barrels came out in the late 80's to early 90's. They were step rib, overbored .740, and target sights. When the classic trap came out around 2006 they went back to the standard .727 bore with step rib and target beads. The 1100 synthetic comp out now has the overbored barrel and the Classic trap has the syandard contour target. The dates maybe aren't exact but there abouts. The target barrels had knockdown pins.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
As I recall, the .740 trap barrels used different screw chokes. Did some of these barrels have some choke before the muzzle area?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There are two different .740 barrels. Fixed choke and screw in choke. The earlier .740 bore barrels were fixed choke at modified and full. The later (ex. 1100 Synthetic Competition) .740 bores use the Probore chokes which don't work the same in a standard contour .727 target barrel because the markings and constriction are different because they were made for the pro bore barrels. I had a 1100T with a super full fixed choke. Reduced targets to fine smoke. I had it opened up to light full.

·
Banned
125 Posts
The trap barrel rib will look a little different than the field barrel.The field barrel vent opening amount will be parallel all the way down the barrel.The trap vent opening will be less at the muzzle end than at the receiver end giving you a automatic higher point of inpack.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
The trap barrel rib will look a little different than the field barrel.The field barrel vent opening amount will be parallel all the way down the barrel.The trap vent opening will be less at the muzzle end than at the receiver end giving you a automatic higher point of inpack.
Not true. The point of impact is exactly the same for both barrels. The little step in the rib of the trap barrel is the same height at the muzzle end of the barrel. I don't know what a "vent opening" is.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Not true. The point of impact is exactly the same for both barrels. The little step in the rib of the trap barrel is the same height at the muzzle end of the barrel. I don't know what a "vent opening" is.
I think he means the distance between the barrel and the bottom of the rib. By vent space it is the gaps in the rib down the Barrel.

The rib height does decrease from the where the step in the rib is down to the muzzle end slightly. That makes the top of the bead almost the same height from the barrel as the back end of the rib where the step is.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
If you measure it, I think you'll find the field barrel decreases exactly the same amount as the trap barrel, measuring from the same place on the field barrel rib to the muzzle. The rib on the trap barrel is about 1/8" higher at the step and 1/8" higher at the muzzle.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts