Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new Remington 1100 28 ga sporter and as this will be my first auto, was wondering if there is anything special I have to do to break it in or keep it running smoothly?

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
One of my favorite guns to shoot clay targets with!

The 1100 needs to be cleaned regularly to run trouble free. I always used mineral spirits. Pay special attention to the magazine tube and make sure it is very clean.

You will hear conflicting reports about whether to use them "wet" or "dry", which means using lubrication on the action.

In my decades of experience, I have found them to work best when a light coat of a lubricant such as "Remoil" is used on the magazine tube, trigger mechanism and other moving parts. I use the spray and have always had excellent results when used on these types of shotguns.

Enjoy you new shotgun. They're sweet.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
As well as the above mentioned maintenance, I like to scrub out the inside of barrel ring with fine bronze wool soaked soaked hoppes #9 on my sporting 12 every couple hundred rounds. It gets pretty cruddy in there.

I also disassemble the gas piston and scrub that down with the bronze wool while I've got it apart.

Also, find a drill bit that fits the gas ports close (on my 12 7/64" is perfect) and run it through them gently by hand (not in a drill motor, ever) to clean the cud out of those holes.

I scrub the magazine tube with bronze wool also.

The reason for bronze wool being that it does not leave nearly as many fibers behind as steel wool and it a few do stay behind, they won't cause rust.

I bought it on Amazon
HOMAX PRODUCTS 123100 Bronze Fine Wool Pad, 3-Pack

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
+1.
join a gym and excercise since youll be picking up hulls. yes you will. theyre too expensive to let lie. youre gonna want to sell them or load them.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Don't believe what you read about having to clean your gun. A light coating of oil (I prefer Break Free) on the magazine tube is fine. Run a oiled patch through the barrel after a days shooting. It can go months without any further cleaning. Spend the time you save reloading. I shot the small gauge 1100's at skeet for years. Constant disassembly and deep cleaning does more harm than good.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I pull the bolt and gas assembly every time I shoot one of my 1100s, and I have a few. I don't worry about the trigger assembly as much. Spray everything with Remoil, wipe it all off, and reassemble. Run a snake down the barrel. You are good to go for the next time, and you don't have to put a dirty gun back in the safe. Once you have done it a few times, and do it often, it becomes quick and easy. If you don't currently reload 28 guage, you will start. It is hard to pay over $10 a box, when you can reload for about $3.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW, lots of great advice. I currently reload 100's of rounds for Intl trap and skeet weekly and I have reloaded 28ga for my break open guns so reloading is not an issue. I hope to pick it up today ,so should I thoroughly clean it before using it like I do with a new o/u?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
As well as the above mentioned maintenance, I like to scrub out the inside of barrel ring with fine bronze wool soaked soaked hoppes #9 on my sporting 12 every couple hundred rounds. It gets pretty cruddy in there.

I also disassemble the gas piston and scrub that down with the bronze wool while I've got it apart.

Also, find a drill bit that fits the gas ports close (on my 12 7/64" is perfect) and run it through them gently by hand (not in a drill motor, ever) to clean the cud out of those holes.

I scrub the magazine tube with bronze wool also.

The reason for bronze wool being that it does not leave nearly as many fibers behind as steel wool and it a few do stay behind, they won't cause rust.

I bought it on Amazon
HOMAX PRODUCTS 123100 Bronze Fine Wool Pad, 3-Pack
I never had any problems with my 28G 1100. It had a sandblasted/blued top to its receiver, a replacement Simmons floating rib and a steel 20G Cutts plus a custom Bishop stock and fore-end. That gun served me well in many 28G and 20G NSSA competitions. After shooting it I'd strip it right down, clean the insides of the action, tuning fork, trigger mech, bolt and breech face, wire wool the magazine tube, clean the gas rings, clean out the gas ports with a wooden cocktail stick and lightly lube the whole thing. I wish I hadn't sold that gun, so if anyone comes across it please let me know.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Also, I believe advice on cleaning is largely like religion. Everyone has their own view.

Some folks, like me, are fussy and like to clean a lot. I treat my cars, tools and guns all the same. I never put them away dirty if I don't have to.

·
Registered
230 Posts
They are a great gun. I have an early model with the 25 inch barrel. It's my dove, quail and pheasant gun.
Winchester High brass 1 oz loads on pheasants with a mod choke and I'm good to 40 yards. I love it. My other pheasant gun
is a Model 12 20 gauge IC. I bought this in Calgary in 1968 and never looked back. Baby mags for ducks and geese (lead in those days)
and pheasants and huns. Another great gun. I still have them both. Clean the mag tube and a light coat of RemOil in the action after wiping down and you are good to go. Enjoy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up my brand new 28ga 1100 today and am a little disappointed. It came with one choke in the bbl and 3 extra chokes but in 20 ga. Also, it has a one inch Remington recoil pad w/o a smooth heel plate and is very soft and sticky. The total lop is almost 14", so kind of short. The good news is that it has nice wood and looks and feels very nice. I just might get a full choke tube and try it for bunker. I'm sure the dealer will replace the choke tubes and I believe I will be pleased in the end.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Don't believe what you read about having to clean your gun. A light coating of oil (I prefer Break Free) on the magazine tube is fine. Run a oiled patch through the barrel after a days shooting. It can go months without any further cleaning. Spend the time you save reloading. I shot the small gauge 1100's at skeet for years. Constant disassembly and deep cleaning does more harm than good.
A 20 gauge 1100 set the world record for most shots fired from a auto shotgun with out a cleaning or breakdown in 1978 -- over 24,oo0 rounds. --and I believe it has yet to be broke by any other auto loader? -- Great platform --have fun -- Its a great gun!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I don't clean the engine in my car every time after I drive it.
I wash my underwear before I put them back in the dresser drawer, and I wash my dishes before I put them back in the cupboard. I clean my guns before they go back in the safe. I clean my lawn care equipment before they get put away. Maintenance keeps things working as they should, and they last longer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts