Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Dan and I am new to the site so I hope I`m posting in the correct space. First I own a Remington model 1100 trap special 12 gauge. My grandfather has given me this gun and I love it. I shoot almost every weekend but within the last 6-7 months I've had nothing but problems. It happened one day just out shooting at my local club. I yelled pull, then came the following pair, I shot the first clay, went for the second one and nothing. The action was left open and didnt bring in the next shell. After that it would not reset the trigger. Brought it to a gunsmith and $150 later, it worked! Then 150 shells later, the same thing. Anyone else having this problem or know the solution?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The first thing I would do is call the gunsmith. He should back up his work, and look at the gun again for no charge. Next, 1100s have been around for decades, and there is probably someone at your local club that can take one apart in his sleep. It's a lot easier to see how things are working or not in person. If the next shell is not coming out of the magazine, it probably has something to do with the feed latch not moving over to release the shell. There are a number of reasons why the feed latch won't work. Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply mark! My gunsmith wont be in until Feb. 22nd however and I want to keep shooting. Lots of the guys at my club have looked and fired and cannot find a reason why it won't work. The problem is if I put a shell into it, drop the action, it won't fire. The trigger doesnt move forward, it just stays back in to fired position however the action slammed forward and there is a shell in there. It won't fire at all. Could this be the trigger system? Im not to familiar with the technical terms but in the trigger system its all clean but I feel like the hammer may not be locking back down. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Start with this video below. Then go to the series of videos above.

Wayne

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YBOreNAvSwE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The thing I do when trying to diagnose an 1100 problem, is take another gun that I know works, and start swapping parts, one at a time, until the gun works again. I have then narrowed down the problem to the part I swapped out, and can figure out whether it is broken or not interacting with the other parts as it should. See if someone will let you try their trigger assembly in your gun. Can you remove your trigger assembly, cock the trigger, and then pull the trigger to get it to work. Catch the hammer as it falls, so it doesn't slam forward, out of the gun. Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive kept my gun very cleaned and learned a lot from those series of videos so thanks you! However they don't quite fix my problem. My trigger system seems to be working properly as the hammer slams forward into my hand(very hard). However the hammer in the fired position is very loose side to side, is that normal? If its pushed to one side, it wont go all the way down and lock. Would the push it side to side and possibly cause it to not lock back down? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
My hammer is pretty sloppy when uncocked also, but I can't push mine back and not get it to cock. You may be on to something. I don't take 1100 trigger groups apart. I have bought a few spare assemblies, when I see them for sale. Mark

·
Registered
698 Posts
I posted a while ago about a problem with mine. Hammer would not hit the pin. A friend in my club swapped out my bolt for his and it works now. I have a new trigger in and the hammer is very sloppy in the released position. So Mark has the right idea. good luck.
LRW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I believe I may need a new hammer or the bolt that holds it in. Can you purchase a part like that? Or will I have to get a new trigger system?

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Put a WTB (Want To Buy) ad here in the appropriate section that you want to purchase an 1100 pull trigger group. These are posted here on a fairly regular basis. This will provide a test trigger should something go wrong, and a spare.

In my case I have several of these guns, so parts swapping is not an issue.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have several 1100s and love them. I also have a whole tackle box full of replacement parts and triggers to keep them going..(I shoot a lot) I do just as another poster said start swapping parts. Sometimes I can swap one from one gun to another and they both work...has happened with triggers several times so who knows why they did or did not work. I shoot with several 1100 experts and sometimes they scratch their heads too.

I got my selection of extra parts from brownells. Best of luck.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dan, your problem sounds like what happend to my 1100 a few months ago. Load a shell, close the action, pull the trigger and nothing. I could look in behind the bolt (yes, very carefully) and see that the hammer wasn't moving. Unload & pull the trigger group out and it would work. I finally got it to malfunction out in the open. Turns out, the disconnector wasn't popping back up to kick the sear out from under the hammer when I was pulling the trigger.

There was a small piece of dirt caught in the spring plunger under the disconnector. So the trigger group got an extra good soaking in solvent and a nice relube & it's worked ever since. Remington recommends Rem-Oil (whooda thunk) but any good gun cleaning solvent & lube should have the same effect.

Best of Luck,
Norm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts