Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,
Does a (your) model 11-87 have a metal ring in the forearm where it meets the gas port ring from the barrel, ostensibly to reduce wood fracture? I just bought a beautiful 11-87 Premier LC with Monte Carlo stock on GB... but the forearm is "loose" and no metal ring. I thought the 1968 1100 I bought a month ago on GB and is now with a gunsmith had one.

Thanks for your help, shovel99

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I have never seen a 1187 forend with a sleeve inside, and I've seen a LOT. They were pinned from the factory to help reduce cracking at the thin section where it meets the barrel. The mag tube hole was bored to accommodate the mag tube, not a sleeve, so if you REALLY wanted the sleeve, the hole would have to be opened somehow AND you'd have to find a sleeve.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi skeet man, Thanks for your reply, good to know that my gun is still "factory". I forgot to add that my forearm is a little wobbly, which is what triggered the closer look. Any suggestions how to take out the wobble? A little plastic wood where the forearm gets attached?

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you are asking about number 43 collar I have an 11-87 trap that has one and 11-87 premier slug gun that does not. I believe the slug gun to be newer? It could be that the trap is a non magnum barrel?

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
could you be talking about the (gas cylinder collar) that slips around the magazine tube before you slide on the forearm and magazine cap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much! You gents nailed it: gas cylinder collar, part 43, for 12 gauge magnum but not super magnum! Just ordered one from Midwest Gun Works. I wonder if this has something to do with the optional gas ring available for the 11-87 that slips on between the piston seal rings and the o ring, designed to cycle more gas for 2 3/4 light loads.... I bought one of those also in the quest to get an 1100 working, but forget the actual part name? Thanks again, bravo zulu. I will check back to report whether this makes a difference... and quite sure it will. Shovel/Paul

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I was under the impression you were talking about this:

Not this:

The 1100 has the former, the 1187 has the latter, and neither would work with the other gun. Your 1100 certainly does not have the part in the 2nd pic.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, great resource, thanks. Apprently saw the end of the above on the 1100 and Did not see either on the 11-87, but will have it soon. I haven’t shot the 11-87 yet (without the gas collar) but seller affirmed it worked fine. I will get to try both ways soon. Thanks again. Shovel99

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
The Gas Cylinder Collar is only for the 11-87 models that were gas compensated to use 3" or 3-1/2" ammunition. If your 11-87 is a target model (Light Contour barrel) it would not have this part. The forend fit is another matter and dependent on part #44 in a schematic. If that is missing, the fe will not fit tightly.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Scott, so much to learn! My barrel says Light Contour 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. It does have the Monte Carlo stock, however. I gave it a closer look to confirm this, and the forend has only a very small amount of wiggle. I will take another look and see if the 11-87 has a support assembly #44. I just need to go enjoy shooting it and stop obsessing! Now, getting my 1100 to cycle at all is the next important mission. The gunsmith has had it a week and should either have ideas or maybe need to move on to another gs. If he hasn't gotten it working by mid week, I will see if anyone here knows an Atlanta GA area Remington guy. Thanks again, Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Danke Herr Klink. I have one on the way from Midwest Gun Works. If I need it, I will have it. If I don't need it, I will... still have it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I have an 11-87 Trap, the one with the over bored barrels. I bought it new and it has gas cylinder thing in the 2nd picture.
Me too.
Mine says TARGET on the barrel if I remember right.
Definitely not the (Light Contour) barrel.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My 11/87 Target barrel came with the gas cylinder ring, barrel doesn't have the gas compensating ports. I put some black RTV gasket adhesive to attach the ring to the barrel so I didn't have to keep dealing with it.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
The Gas Cylinder Collar is only for the 11-87 models that were gas compensated to use 3" or 3-1/2" ammunition. If your 11-87 is a target model (Light Contour barrel) it would not have this part. The forend fit is another matter and dependent on part #44 in a schematic. If that is missing, the fe will not fit tightly.

Scott Hanes
Like most, I don't like to be in error, but I was on this one! When I initially went to verify that MY 11-87 Sporting Clays had or did not have the Gas Cylinder Collar, I removed the forend and, nope, it did not have the collar. Just went back to the safe to re-verify and guess where the collar was? ....In the forend!!! :)

My bad! Sorry.
Scott Hanes

P.S. the Gas Cylinder Collar is present in the target guns, it just doesn't do anything except help support the forend in the front.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to Scott and phatkaw. Mine is on order. I suspect that many have gone missing over the years. Interesting that Trapshooters.com brought up a thread about gas collar that I post below. Part way down, Brian in Oregaon explains the need for gas collar here:
The gas collar keeps the exhaust gas from the compensating ports from directly impinging upon the wood stock. The target barrels lack these ports, but the collar is still needed because the stocks are inletted with extra space for them.

Here is the thread:

All of you folks and TS.com are such a great resource to we beginners, thank you! It has been said that information allowed to be effectively shared by the computer industry allowed for society to stand on the shoulders of others. You folks offer those shoulders.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I enjoyed reading Brian in Oregon’s posts.
He hasn’t been here for a while...

He was an 1100 guy for sure.

Passport was another 1100 guy that is MIA...

I have one of his 11-87s.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks PK. I test fired the very nice 11-87 Premier Light Contour with Monte Carlo stock, and my new A300 Outlander today. Both shot very well. The 1187 even fired Winchester white box #8 just fine, the brand new A300 choked on WWB, but handled a couple of higher quality brands of #8. The shocker was my gunsmith determining the problem with my 1100 that didn't work from day 1 after receiving it: previous owner drilled a hole through the mag tube precisely at the gas chamber adjacent to the O ring! I think I know why, and it did not register at the time: holding the mag spring in place under great pressure, while squeezing the press-fit end cap on is a difficult task. As I was reassembling after cleaning the inside and replacing the spring... I had the aha moment when I saw the drilled hole: "Hey, I can put a nail through there to hold the spring, pullt it out when the end cap is on. If the jerk had drilled the hole a half inch or more toward the top, it would have worked as planned and not ruined the gun. I have leaned that the mag tube is brazed to the receiver. Obtain non existent replacement part (this is the frame that no one replaces) unbraze the old one out, rebraze the new one in, remove bluing, re-blue. I trust it will cost more than it is worth. Welding shop thinks they can weld over the hole, but makes no guarantee about the weld filling below the hole (and blocking the action of the mag spring.)
At least I have two great guns to shoot clays!
Live and learn.
shovel99

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts