Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington 11-48 in 28 gauge that I'm restoring. The wood has been sprayed with a coating that didn't level out very well and needs to be removed. My question is about the checkering, is the flat tops on this pattern original or has someone sanded them flat?
I'm looking for suggestions about this and any refinishing of the wood you may have as I want the gun to look as factory as possible. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Most wooden stocks of that vintage - 70+ years - show wear like that. I bought an 11-48 for one of my nephews perhaps 40 years ago and some of the checkering was worn like that so I would imagine normal, sharply-pointed checkering was original.

Ed

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
1148?---may depend on the year of manufacture. couple of the early 50s (870s) (one field grade & one TB) & one 1148 that I've had did have flat top checkering with a fairly wide border groove and plain pattern--ie no scroll or fluer-de-li on stock or forend. They also had the bbl. & receiver serially matched. Very slick actions like they were somewhat hand fitted. PM me if i can help anymore. Ross Puls

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Gonbad--That is exactly the same as mine had. There were other minor differences also, I think they (Remington) weren't quite sure what a good design they had so hand assembled & serially matched them for the 1st few years. I know that the earlier 870s were smoother\slicker than the later ones. Had one 870 TC that was "almost" as slick as a M31 should have NEVER let that one get away, but sold it to get the M31 TC That I'm still shooting today (40 years). Ross Puls

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.