Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve here... Shot my 11-48 28ga this last weekend. I have attached a pic of the case that was left in the chamber after it fired,t IMG_9796.jpeg he extractor was no where to be found. Load to hot 馃サ. Its load data from IMR's web site. 13.5 PB. I could not find the extractor so I have no idea if it broke or just came out of the bolt. This was an alot fired Federal case. But how would the extractor come out of the bolt.
Any thoughts would be great
Thank you
Steve

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I can't believe no one has any thoughts on this. None of you guys have ever owned an 11-48
Steve

Premium Member
I only own one in 12 ga but have never seen or heard of this kind of problem with them. That shell must have been really stuck in the barrel for that to happen. (shell overloaded? rough chamber? shell not properly sized before firing?) Regards, Bob

Registered
With the recoil operation of the gun, if a shell is stuck in the chamber the barrel and bolt will still be forced apart, since that force of the recoil spring is obviously stronger than the retaining force or strength of the extractor. So the hull stuck in the chamber, and the force sheared or ejected the extractor in the process of ripping through the case rim.

You shouldn't be using "alot fired" shells in elderly guns. The failure was a result of this. Sarco should have your parts. Replace the parts, give the chamber and barrel a through cleaning, and shoot better ammo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies, I put a new extractor in this afternoon. Chamber looks good, hulls resized fall out of chamber when loaded. I will tried a slower powder like 800x. Ejected fine. Just sent one into my bullet trap. Wonder if PB is too fast for that gauge.
I always use book recipes and and all are target loads.
Steve

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This I will do thank you as well.
You shouldn't be using "alot fired" shells in elderly guns. The failure was a result of this. Sarco should have your parts. Replace the parts, give the chamber and barrel a through cleaning, and shoot better ammo.

Registered
I have a couple of observations:
When looking at the picture, opposite the missing rim is a deep dent most likely caused when the shell slammed into the ejector. With this type of force carefully inspect the bolt for cracks. If you're not comfortable have a gunsmith look it over.
2. I love Hogdon [Hogdon, IMR, Winchester] powders but find their reloading data for shotgun shells to be a bit hot. Always start at their minimum. Check your powder weight with a quality scale and use a chronograph. I routinely find the actual velocity of my shells to be 100-150 fps over advertised for the weight of powder used. More speed only comes with more pressure. PB will work great for the 28ga but start low and work up into a good recipe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the issue with a little testing. I always oil everything and grease moving parts I think could create wear.
Cleaning off the mag tube spring and especially the bronze bushing solved my problem with the brass getting so beat up, looking like they were overloaded. I would guess the barrel was going back like greased lightning, hammering the cases. These are my first two 11-48's the 28ga as mentioned and a .410. My Citori, Mag10, 1100, and 11-87 don't seem to mind the extra oil or grease.)
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts